OC-ing a Palm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cooling and modding one should include overclocking ( I think the title needs updating ).
But I think its more Palm related so its best here.

Originally posted by Arris
The cooling and modding one should include overclocking ( I think the title needs updating ).
But I think its more Palm related so its best here.

Ah IC. So all OC related posts to Cooling & Modding ;) Guess there should be some renaming and additional forums ;)

Modding=Overclocking. The name is fine in my opinion.

OC'ing a Palm has been around for awhile. I wonder what kind of heat it generates.

Man, people can overclock anything. Next you'll hear about someone overclocking their cell phone or something stupid like that. It's cool and all, but what is the real difference in overclocking a Palm???

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curiously enough, it still benchmarks faster than a P4 2.2 gig, go figger!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hahaha, I love my Athlon!!! ;)

The biggest reason you will want to overclock a Palm is gaming, at least from what I've experienced on my Handspring Visor Deluxe. Things will go much smoother on heavy loaded programs and gamer is where you see the biggest difference.

In the other hand, batteries will drain faster and you will get a few errors from time to time. Personally, I preferred not to overclock my Visor, I don't use it all the time anyway (I'm on vacations now), but I remember one friend of mine had to go back to default clock settings for his palm to work properly when beaming files.

I guess you can kind of compare it to when people used to overclock the old 486's or something like that. It really seems useless now, but I'm sure in the near future Palm's will be running at crazy fast speeds like today's processors.

Sorry about sounding harsh, I guess gaming does come into consideration when using a Palm. Personally I don't have one, but gaming is the only thing I can think of that overclocking can be justified with. Oh well, maybe I can pick me up a Palm sometime in the near future and try it out myself! :)

I guess you can kind of compare it to when people used to overclock the old 486's or something like that. It really seems useless now, but I'm sure in the near future Palm's will be running at crazy fast speeds like today's processors.

That may be true, but unless the crazy speed processors can be more energy efficient, I don't think they'll be making an entry to the PDAs.

Sorry about sounding harsh, I guess gaming does come into consideration when using a Palm. Personally I don't have one, but gaming is the only thing I can think of that overclocking can be justified with. Oh well, maybe I can pick me up a Palm sometime in the near future and try it out myself! :)

Join the club, I don't have one either :D I'm waiting for the Visor Treo's price to drop a tad lower b4 I consider buying one... :D

My friend bought a PDA and all he does is play games on it.

I still think they should someday integrate a cell phone/gameboy advanced /graphic calculator /email text messaging and personal organizer into one.

Then you won't get any work done :)

Originally posted by Mac_Bug
My friend bought a PDA and all he does is play games on it.

I still think they should someday integrate a cell phone/gameboy advanced /graphic calculator /email text messaging and personal organizer into one.

Then you won't get any work done :)

PDA just for gaming? That's REALLY odd :D I managed to see my friend run a Gameboy emulator on his PalmIIIc. Kinda interesting; but can't really play any games on it (especially side scrollers) coz it's rather slow. What PDA did your friend get?

Part of the "integration" is here with Nokia Communicator 9210i which supports Java :D Let's see, it's a cell phone, email/text msg, personal organizer and well, a small gaming rig with the Java MIDlets :D

The Nokia 9210 phone/PDA looks really cool. I can't wait until they come to the states in the summer. I think the price and demand for them is going to be outrageous though. Maybe by then I'll have saved some money...

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
The Nokia 9210 phone/PDA looks really cool. I can't wait until they come to the states in the summer. I think the price and demand for them is going to be outrageous though. Maybe by then I'll have saved some money...

A friend of mine says that his friend who has the 9210 (w/o the i) is complaining that it hangs quite often. Not sure how true is that. Furthermore, with the color LCD, I'm sure the batteries will be sucked dry in a matter of hours.

Yeah, when overclocking a Palm energy is definitely a problem. The batteries already don't last long on mine.
It must be some kind of utility that allows you to do that. I've never encountered a CMOS on mine at least :haha:

PocketDOOM would run faster, however :grinthumb

Originally posted by Vehementi
Yeah, when overclocking a Palm energy is definitely a problem. The batteries already don't last long on mine.
It must be some kind of utility that allows you to do that. I've never encountered a CMOS on mine at least :haha:

PocketDOOM would run faster, however :grinthumb

There's actually a software to OC a Palm. It's freeware if I'm not mistaken, but I can't remember the name of the proggie :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back