OceanGate wipes digital presence following Titan submersible disaster

midian182

Staff member
In context: Scrubbing an entire online presence from the internet is no easy feat, but in the case of OceanGate, the company behind the doomed Titan submersible, it's understandable why it wants to disappear. Following an announcement that all deep-sea explorations are being suspended, OceanGate is purging its digital footprint.

As spotted by Insider, heading to both OceanGate and OceanGate Expeditions sites redirect to a page explaining that the company has suspended all exploration and commercial operations. It had previously shown the same notice at the top of its website.

OceanGate has also taken down its social media presence. Both the OceanGate and OceanGate Expeditions Facebook pages are gone, as are their Twitter and LinkedIn accounts. The OceanGate Instagram account is active but set to private, while the OceanGate Expeditions' Insta has been deleted.

The only company website still operating is the OceanGate Foundation's, though the Facebook page has been removed.

In a previous interview with OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush, one of the five people killed when the Titan imploded due to the immense underwater pressure, he talked about using the sub for deep-sea mining. Rush mentioned harvesting resources from the ocean floor, generating money that could be used to reduce the vessel's $250,000 per seat price for tourism dives.

Spanish submarine expert José Luis Martín believes the Titan would have popped like a balloon after plummeting almost 3,000 feet, like an "arrow vertically," after it experienced an electrical failure that left it without engines or propulsion. He says this freefall would have lasted between 48 and 71 seconds, during which time those on board could have fallen on top of each other, aware of what was about to happen.

"Imagine the horror, the fear and the agony. It must have been like a horror movie," Martín said.

The decision to build the Titan from mostly carbon fiber rather than steel, titanium, and aluminum is being blamed for the submersible's implosion. There had already been several warnings about the Titan's potential safety issues, particularly the carbon fiber core, but these were brushed off or ignored by Rush.

All passengers on Titan voyages were required to sign a waiver that included the word "death" no less than 3 times. It included asking customers to assume full responsibility for the risk of death even if the company was negligent.

Permalink to story.

Huh, and here I thought it was just pure incompetence. Please share the article that has the proof someone actually premeditated their deaths. Everyone else must have missed it...
Premeditated murder is only one type of murder. But you already knew that.

Did you know there is a green continue button when used leads to an ad blocker commercial? The tile of the tab is "
[HEADING=2]tv.youtube tv/start".[/HEADING]

Still requires intent. But you already knew that.

So why waste time adding nothing to this convo?
Murder or not, lawsuits are expensive and require all of the forensic skills to investigate a criminal case does. So why not remove all of the evidence you can.

Huh, and here I thought it was just pure incompetence. Please share the article that has the proof someone actually premeditated their deaths. Everyone else must have missed it...
Because the dip **** that owned the company knew there was a problem with the sub but kept using it. Check out the problems they had with the spec of the sub and still they allowed passengers to be taken in it.
If that's not murder then I don't know what is.
Intent has nothing to do with it.

Because the dip **** that owned the company knew there was a problem with the sub but kept using it. Check out the problems they had with the spec of the sub and still they allowed passengers to be taken in it.
If that's not murder then I don't know what is.
Intent has nothing to do with it.
It has everything to do with it, and separates it from manslaughter 🤦‍♂️

Murder or not, lawsuits are expensive and require all of the forensic skills to investigate a criminal case does. So why not remove all of the evidence you can.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. My point is that it's not murder unless someone intended on those people to die. And such an action would probably have to be premeditated (sabotage the dive).

Otherwise, it's just negligence. At best, someone might get a manslaughter charge (though, the CEO isn't alive to be charged anymore)...

I'm not sure what you're getting at. My point is that it's not murder unless someone intended on those people to die. And such an action would probably have to be premeditated (sabotage the dive).

Otherwise, it's just negligence. At best, someone might get a manslaughter charge (though, the CEO isn't alive to be charged anymore)...
It doesn;t require premeditated murder to foster a lawsuit or a manslaughter charge. Whoever is responsible for the disaster is in trouble enough without there being a premeditated murder charge, hence the disappearance of the website material to remove all evidence possible. If there is someone out there who is concerned about having to pay out hundreds of millions of dollars from a lawsuit and one of the star witnesses comes up dead or missing, then we might then become concerned about premeditated murder,.

Last edited:
Somebody really should scrape the archive.org copies of the site for posterity, as even archive.org is required to delete content due to a court order - which I'm sure they'll get soon.

A driver has has their licenses suspended for life - has been prosecuted 15 times before for DUI - has killed twice before

Gets in a car absolutely blotto and drives again and kills another person yet again.

We had a case like that in NZ - I didn't care what the legal definition of murder is , nor do many other cultures - yes it's in USA - where activist wrongly or rightly declared murder with regards to the unborn child wrt to assault or termination etc.

Nice legal defense - someone who I disliked from my school life - wasn't guilty of murder - got upset at party came back with a softball bat - swung at the guy he ducked - upward swing hit his girlfriend in the head

Then cases of gangland fights - bystanders hit - or enters house and kills sleeping toddler
- Not murder I suppose .

So my take in a public forum could be murder , in court no

So both right

A driver has has their licenses suspended for life - has been prosecuted 15 times before for DUI - has killed twice before

Gets in a car absolutely blotto and drives again and kills another person yet again.

We had a case like that in NZ - I didn't care what the legal definition of murder is , nor do many other cultures - yes it's in USA - where activist wrongly or rightly declared murder with regards to the unborn child wrt to assault or termination etc.

Nice legal defense - someone who I disliked from my school life - wasn't guilty of murder - got upset at party came back with a softball bat - swung at the guy he ducked - upward swing hit his girlfriend in the head

Then cases of gangland fights - bystanders hit - or enters house and kills sleeping toddler
- Not murder I suppose .

So my take in a public forum could be murder , in court no

So both right
It just goes to show you, in the world today ran mainly by liberal politicians, anyone can get away with murder, premeditated or not.

Somebody really should scrape the archive.org copies of the site for posterity, as even archive.org is required to delete content due to a court order - which I'm sure they'll get soon.

It's been archived over 38000 times on Web Archive!
Interesting how many times it has been archived in the past couple of years from before the Titan disaster.

You're correct, with "murder 1", premeditation must be proved "beyond a shadow of a doubt". However, "criminally negligent homicide" could likely be made to stick, if not it criminal court, certainly as a cause of action in civil court.

There's one small problem, the person who would be named in the indictment, effectively "committed suicide", by being onboard at the time of the incident.

Back