OCZ launches new version of PCIe SSD, RevoDrive X2

Mike

Back in June we covered OCZ's unveiling of the RevoDrive, a PCI-Express SSD aimed at high-performance setups. Designed to eliminate the traditional SATA connection bottleneck and take advantage of the PCIe interface's higher transfer rates, the drive was capable of writing 540MB/sec with 75,000 IOPS. Now just four months later we have the release of the RevoDrive X2. This new version bumps performance up to 740MB/sec and 120,000 IOPS, three times the throughput of other high-end SATA based solutions according to OCZ.

Featuring an on-board RAID 0 design like it's predecessor, the X2 employs four SandForce-1200 controllers to increase data access and bandwidth. OCZ touts the drive series for being bootable, unlike other PCIe SSDs on the market which can only be used for storage purposes. This should allow for even faster start-up and load times, something already enjoyed with traditional SSDs. Capacity will range between 100GB and 960GB, but the performance comes at a price -- the previous model still retails for up to $1000 and above for the higher-storage versions.

While the idea of a PCIe-based SSD may be new to some readers, it's a concept being pushed for more standardized adoption. The "SSD Form Factor Working Group," made up of Dell, EMC, Fujitsu, IBM, and Intel, is looking to make utilizing high-performance storage easier and more cost effective. Areas the group focuses on improving include connectors compatible with SAS/SATA 3.0 and PCIe 3, a 2.5 inch form factor to ensure enclosure flexibility, increased power envelope to support higher drive performance, and hot-plug capability for easier servicing.

Permalink to story.

I would love one of these as my boot drive but I don't think I have the money... would be nice though... how about in next year's giveaway!

I will just wait for the new Sandforce SF-2000 controller on a normal SATA SSD.
It is capable of 60.000 IOPS and 500 MB/S for just a fraction of the price of this one.

I didn't think SSD's would progress this quickly. The price is way high but for what it is, i can understand why. The only problem I see really is that you can only fit so many of these in a computer. Alot more SATA drives would be able to fit in a computer. I am sure you can get that performance if you raided them properly. I saw a demo of a large SATA SSD raid in which they copied a DVD (4.3 GB) from one directory to another in less than 3 seconds.

Anyway, utilizing this technology in different ways is great because it will fit someones needs. I can't wait till motherboards come with like a 20 GB chip on them for OS or BIOS or something.

**Off Topic** - Why don't they build a utility to download an OS into BIOS? I know their changing the BIOS standard, but i just want to see that feature for open source stuff and microsoft if they would agree with that.

It's still way too expensive for normal people to buy. Performance? it's better to put 2 normal SSD's in raid for a fraction of the price.

I think the idea is cool, especially now that it's bootable, but SSDs REALLY need to come down in price for anyone but an absolute die hard performance centered gamer or maybe a business would ever buy the large capacity ones.

As it stands now it's only really feasible (monetarily) to buy a small, 16-160GB SSD to use for your OS and maybe your essential programs. At least it is for me.

great gadget! i cant wait till the day when everything is just a simple plug on the board minus all the wires!
and the back panel will only have just usb's and hdmi's and sata's if even less. that would be awesome

twiztidsef said:

**Off Topic** - Why don't they build a utility to download an OS into BIOS? I know their changing the BIOS standard, but i just want to see that feature for open source stuff and microsoft if they would agree with that.

You do realise the BIOS is usually around 8MB in size right? I don't think Windows would fit "Into" the BIOS chip some how.

I think I know what your getting at though, Motherboards with a decent amount of On-board Flash Memory for an OS?

Also, this does already exist on some Asus Motherboards, you can load instantly into a Linux based OS just to quickly get on the web etc...

I read an article that Intel, along with samsung and toshiba?, are teaming up to standardize PCIe SSDs, which severely outpace SATA SSDs. <1ms access times anyone?

alinsaviuc said:
Lovely but too expensive.

Remember that this is a enterprice market product, its intended for that purpose, even if enthusiast or the "I need to have it" minded go for it.

I dream of the day where I can get such speeds for a reasonable price. I feel that my current RAID 0 setup is quite quick I couldn't imagine how this would feel. Hopefully prices on these SSDs come down just as quick as possible.

my SDD is fast enough, idk what ill do with that kind of speed, and i dont find alot of motherboard with 4x pcie, most of them are 16x and i dont like to use one of them in case i want to sli or Crossfire

if i had that kind of cash burning a hole in my pocket I'd get one. the performance is amazing but it's a little too much for a home setup.

"I read an article that Intel, along with samsung and toshiba?, are teaming up to standardize PCIe SSDs, which severely outpace SATA SSDs. <1ms access times anyone?"

Current SSD's already give you less than 1ms access times what are you smoking?

hello ...

humm, too expensive but fantastic concept, it's now in my wishlist, anyone lovin' me please check & gift, thanks.

cheers!

Just spent $100 on scratch offs, I'll get one of these by the end of the week!

Back