OCZ launches second-gen Agility and Vertex SSD series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

We've known about these drives for quite a while already, but today OCZ officially announced their second generation Vertex and Agility SSDs. Both drives are based on MLC NAND memory chips and use the new SandForce controllers for achieving up to 285MB/s read and 275MB/s write speeds, with sustained writes at an impressive 250MB/s. The differentiator between the two, however, is the all important random write performance.

The Vertex 2 is capable of 50,000 IOPS with 4KB random writes while the Agility 2 offers a much lower but still remarkable 10,000 IOPS. To put this into perspective, Intel's often praised second generation X-25M manages 6,600 IOPS in this same test. Seek times for both OCZ solid-state drive models stay under 0.1ms and power consumption is rated at just 2W in operation or 0.5W in standby.

The Agility 2 and Vertex 2 series will ship in 50GB, 100GB, 200GB and 400GB varieties in a few weeks with a SATA 3Gbps interface, TRIM support and a three-year warranty. Prices have not been disclosed at the time of writing.

Permalink to story.

As the generations progress are the prices going down enough. I would bay at most 120USD for a 50GB storage. The OS can have this space, and I would install all other software off on to a standard HD.

Those are some impressive write specs. As these are non-mechanical drives, makes me wonder how they can get a greater than 1/3 difference in write speed over the Intel X-25M. Is it the coding or better quality semiconductors or both?

Its just the way intel's SSD are designed, and to be honest high write speeds don't mean much when you us it for an OS drive.

I own a 160GB G2 intel drive and I don't think i've seen an situation where I was limited by the write speed at all. I have storage drives for most of my writing!

This will be fixed in the G3 drives to be coming out later this year.

Is it the coding or better quality semiconductors or both?

This part of your statement is also quite silly, do you honestly think OCZ or any of those other companies have higher QA and better semiconductors then intel ????

A company that is 10 times the size of these other companies and could probably buy them all!

"This part of your statement is also quite silly, do you honestly think OCZ or any of those other companies have higher QA and better semiconductors then intel ????"

Well yeah, as a matter of fact I do. What makes you presume that Intel is the QA champion of the tech world? They've put out many devices that have failed or been way below par in comparison to other manufacturers. They make a lot of money because of the amount of sales to businesses. Doesn't mean they're the best - it means they (in general) make a reliable product and have a huge sales force to push it.

Cool

Speeds going up, Size going up, Prices coming down.

I'm still waiting for the right mix of the above before I jump in but it keeps getting a little better each day.

I have first gen Vertex and man is it fast. No other company compares with speed and price. Wow these second gen are even better..amazing. I agree if they can get 60Gb to around $100 more people would buy... I been waiting for awhile now...prices just arn't dropping. I have the vertex at work...its 60GB but paid around $200 when I got it....amazing speed!

"Is it the coding or better quality semiconductors or both?"

Its the Sandforce controler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back