Odd power up sequence and other issues

So I've had this rig since January. I built it with a friend who was more knowledgeable about computers than I, but it's always had it's issues.

For one, it's chunky. It's got 8gb of RAM, great Intel processor, awesome Nvidia graphics card and a Solid State disk (60gb) and a 500gb disk drive, both SATA. Problem is, outside of games, it's always been chunky. I'm talking about pressing the start button on the desktop and being able to get up, go to the fridge, grab a beer, pour a beer into the mug, go sit down, and either menu has failed to populate yet, or has been greyed out and "stopped responding" with the loading cursor. I'm talking waiting 6-10 minutes for "My Computer" or "Control Panel" or "Chrome" to come up after double clicking the icon, and 2 minute waits for new tabs to open in the latter. The thing is, I've dealt with it because it was meant to be a gaming rig more than anything, and it runs all my games perfectly. BF3 on max settings, no problem. Same for CS:GO. (I think those are the two most graphic intesive ones I have).No lockups, more than sufficient FPS.

So today I decide I want to get FRAPS on my system just for kicks. With FRAPS recording, I start to get stuttering issues. I guess this is what pushed me over the edge in regards to how slow the operating system runs. I open up my case, just to check. There has to be SOMETHING plugged in wrong, right? Well, nothing that I could see. I checked all my connections, put them back were they were, (yes I'm sure) pulled out my RAM sticks, put them back were they were, (yes I'm sure), same with the heat fan over the processor. So every thing is back the way it should be.

I plug everything back in, and when I try to turn it on, I really start to get some problems. This is the computer's behavior:

Turns on. Stays on for about 30-60 seconds, shuts off, and immediately turns it self back on. The second time it turns on, it will stay powered on indefinitely but will not boot. Nothing shows up on my screen when I connect it to any DVI ports. No errors. Nothing. The monitor will briefly turn itself on, still displaying nothing, and then will go back into power saving mode after about 10 seconds.

I don't really know what to do. I'm positive everything is connected exactly as when it was in a functional state.

Vital Stats:
Intel Processor (Don;t remember specifics)
ASUS Nvida graphics card. (Don;t remember specifics, but it cost a pretty penny less than a year ago.)
4gb DDR3 RAM
Solid State Hard Drive (OS is installed on this one)
Disk Drive (Mostly games and media.)
800W PSU
Asus Motherboard

Apologies for the long winded nature of this post. Any help is appreciated.

I've figured out that I'm using an [FONT=Verdana]Asus P8P67 PRO Intel P67 S1155 Motherboard.[/FONT]

Sounds like a memory issue or possibly a CPU issue. If you removed the CPU heatsink, you must clean off the old thermal paste and properly re-apply new paste. If the CPU came out of the socket you may have bent one or more pins in the motherboard socket (they're very delicate). Lastly, and most likely, you may not have seated the RAM modules properly. It takes a very firm push to get them locked in (I've changed hundreds of them and sometimes even now I'll have to re-seat a module). Also, did you remember to plug in the CPU fan wire to the motherboard? Make sure you didn't accidentally knock a jumper off the board, such as the clear cmos jumper, which is required for it to boot.

Reseat everything again, and reset your cmos jumper. Then go into the BIOS (hopefully something displays after reseating and resetting). If you can get into the BIOS, look over things and make sure stuff like boot priority is correct.

If you can get into Windows, check your sata controller in the device manager and make sure the drives are in UDMA rather than PIO. http://www.ehow.com/how_6864411_do-check-pc-dma-mode_.html

Back