Office 2016 for Windows to arrive September 22

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft released its first preview build of Office 2016 to developers and IT professionals this past March. Two months later, the Redmond-based company invited all Windows users to try out its second preview build. Now, the popular productivity suite is ready for a proper launch.

Julia White, general manager of Office 365 Technical Product Management, revealed earlier today that Office 2016 will be broadly available starting September 22. Those with volume licensing will be able to download the suite from the Volume Licensing Service Center starting October 1.

As you might expect, it’ll arrive with several new features in tow for desktop users including real-time collaboration, deeper cloud integration, the “Tell Me” helper (Clippy’s spiritual successor) and additional color themes, just to name a few.

White‘s post largely targeted enterprise clients, detailing improvements to the Office update model, additional IT capabilities it affords and even upcoming live events and training classes.

News of the late September launch comes just one day after the company took the stage at Apple’s fall media event to announce new Office features it has developed to take advantage of Apple’s latest hardware and software. Microsoft has published an extensive blog post on the subject should you want to dig a bit deeper.

Permalink to story.

Can't wait to see what high priced mediocrity looks like.
What ever happened to upgrade pricing ?

I still have a legit Office 97 licence, I wonder if I'm legible for a free upgrade to
Office 2016 like I was with Win 10. :D
No matter, I don't need MS office anymore these days anyway, if I ever need to use an Office type program there's always Google Docs.

The folks paying for Office 2016 are essentially subsidizing the mass free upgrade to Win 10.
In full ... for the first year. So I says "Thanks!"

Using Office 2010 Pro Plus and why should I upgrade to this??? Plus I only paid 10 bucks for what I have since my past employer had an employee program.

I still have a legit Office 97 licence, I wonder if I'm legible for a free upgrade to
No matter, I don't need MS office anymore these days anyway, if I ever need to use an Office type program there's always Google Docs.
You do know Microsoft has office online (https://www.office.com/) for free, right? In my opinion a ton better and more usable than Google docs.

I think pretty much any version of Office is for Enterprise users, so keep that in mind to those of you ripping Microsoft for this. They're so overblown with advanced features that 99% of home users would never use. I don't foresee my mother using pivots tables or trend forecasting in Excel. The free Office online is enough for most.

You do know Microsoft has office online (https://www.office.com/) for free, right? In my opinion a ton better and more usable than Google docs.

I was completely unaware of this. I just checked it out. What's the catch? What's missing from the free version of Office? Can you not save the documents locally, or not print them or something stupid?

I was completely unaware of this. I just checked it out. What's the catch? What's missing from the free version of Office? Can you not save the documents locally, or not print them or something stupid?

There is no catch. You have access to the basic features that home userstend to need for free. I have access to Office for $10 through the home use program, but I still use Office.com for Word and Excel documents.

Back