Old and New RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently built a replacement system and bought 2 sticks of pc 6400 RAM (each 1 gb), i also have 2 old sticks of pc 3200 RAM (1 gb each), can i use both in my system?

Specs:
AMD 5000+ Black CPU
Asus M2N-SLI MOBO

No, the two types of RAM are designed to run at different speeds. Your computer would not work if they were both installed. Basically, the motherboard only supports one FSB speed at any given moment so the older RAM wouldn't be able to keep up; would either fry or prevent the system from even booting.

While you cant mix the 6400 and the 3200 because the 6400 is DDR2 and the 3200 is DDR. they have a different pin count and wont fit in the same memory slot. but yes you can mix speeds of the same type of memory. in other words you can install pc 3200 and pc 2700, 2100 etc. a vast majority of the time all that happens is that it operates at the speed of the slowest memory stick installed. once in a while you will get two sticks that wont play nice together and your machine wont post, but it wont harm your computer. keep in mind that if you will not be able to make use of any dual channel capability if you mix speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back