Old i5 upgrade question

I have an i5 4690k overclocked to about 4.4ghz, but some of the games I like are still being bottlenecked by the CPU. Minecraft with lots of mods, Factorio, 7 Days to Die, and some more. They are mostly single core games. I am looking to upgrade when I have the money but will getting a newer CPU really help when they are only slightly, if any, faster single core? The 3900x is said to top out at 4.6ghz and the Intel CPUs are about 5ghz. I think now that Intel has finally had some strong competition they've been becoming shady and I do occasionally run VMs or do other multitasking stuff so the 3900x is what I'm leaning towards.

How much will a new CPU increase performance in CPU bound games if the core the game is running on is not much if any faster than my current CPU?

Current specs: i5 4690k @4.4ghz, 16gb of 1600MHz DDR3 ram and a 6gb GTX 1060.
Desired specs: 3900x, 32gb 3200MHz DDR4, not sure on the video card.

You have to bear in mind that although each successive CPU generation, from your 4690K to the latest ones today, will be a small, incremental improvement, your current system is 5 generations behind the latest Intel ones.

You can get a sense of the difference in this article:

RSS_Ultra.png

RSS.png

Now the second article was done with a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, which is notably more powerful than a 1080 Ti, but you can still see that the past 3 generations of Intel processors haven't changed all that much. However, in the first article, a stock i7-8700K is 17% faster than a stock i7-4770K (note that some of this performance increase will be down to platform and RAM differences).

And we have a look at the Ryzen 9 3900X:

BFV_1080p.png

You can see just how much better the 3900X is compared to the i5-7600K, which is pretty similar to the CPU you currently have.

If you want to see how current CPUs compare like-for-like (I.e. same number of cores, same clock speed) then try this article:

RSS.png

In short, you're not going to see enormous improvements but you will definitely see some. Whether or not that's worth the cost and hassle of doing a full system upgrade is something only you can decide upon.

If I was in your position, I’d do the upgrade. Like yourself, I had a 4th generation Intel system (i7-4790K) ran permanently at 4.4 GHz. I replaced it earlier this year with a i7-9700K setup; had I been doing it now, though, I would have spent more and gone with a 3950X or Threadripper, as I’m starting to do more with my PC than just gaming and testing. Yes, it would have been an additional $500 but over the period of time I do full system upgrades (4 to 5 years), it would have been worth it, for me at least. There again, I also want a GPU upgrade in the next 14 months, and that will easily swallow up that difference in cost.

Back