OLED burn-in could soon be a thing of the past thanks to innovative blue LED technique

DragonSlayer101

Staff
In context: OLED panels have many advantages over traditional LED-backlit displays. They offer truer blacks, enhanced colors, and impressive contrast, making them a popular choice for smartphones, smartwatches, TVs, and monitors. However, OLEDs still suffer from burn-in, although it is less common now than it used to be. Thankfully, researchers believe that they have found a breakthrough solution that could make OLED burn-in a thing of the past.

According to researchers from the University of Cambridge, the burn-in effect in OLED panels can be eliminated by controlling the blue light-emitting diodes. In a study published in the journal Nature, the researchers claimed that covalently encapsulating the ultranarrowband blue light emitters in insulating alkylene straps could significantly reduce burn-in and even simplify the manufacturing process of OLED displays.

Also check out: The OLED Burn-In Test – Burning It on Purpose

Explaining their theory, researchers say that the light emitted by blue LEDs is largely unstable and inefficient, resulting in the burn-in issues in OLED screen.

However, blue LEDs are vital as they help create the white light that allows OLED panels to be used commercially for display purposes. So, the researchers jacketed the blue-light diode with insulating alkylene straps to see if it will reduce its instability and eliminate potential burn-in issues, and it seems to have worked.

The researchers believe that their solution would bring in a paradigm shift in blue OLED technology and could make device fabrication significantly easier.

While current OLED panels use multiple layers of specialized materials to reduce the burn-in effect, the new technology could effectively eliminate all the additional layers by simply covering the blue light-emitting diodes with insulating alkylene straps, thereby reducing the complexity in the manufacturing process and lowering production costs.

It is worth noting here that while this solution is extremely promising, it is still in the proof-of-concept stage, and will need to pass many more tests before it can be adopted for commercial purposes. Even if it does make it to the manufacturing phase, it will take some time before it's used in retail devices, meaning the burn-in will likely remain an issue in the near future.

Permalink to story.

It will be very interesting to see how microled will compete with oled at the end of the decade. The advantages that Microled would bring is better color and brightness but probably at a higher initial costs due to yields that will improve over time. Compare that to today's OLEDs with this new breakthrough research things should improve with better brightness and naturally better color as well.
Oled yields are at high production with 2 competing technologies like w-oled by LG and QD-OLED by Samsung ( wich has better color accuracy).

FYI premium oled monitors like the 49 inch Odyssey super ultrawide fell to $999 on Amazon
and the MSI MPG 4k 32 inch 240hz oled msrp is $949 although it is sold out everywhere.
Hopefully reflecting things to come a sub $1000 price for premium monitors.

update the deal is over but it is still cheaper than othe places at $1099

Limited-time deal: SAMSUNG 49" Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC) Series Curved Smart Gaming Monitor, 240Hz, 0.03ms, G-Sync Compatible, Dual QHD, Neo Quantum Processor Pro, LS49CG954SNXZA, 2023 https://a.co/d/dc9bCjk

I’m happy to wait for the technology to improve. Burn-in is a non-starter for me, and I’m content with my current IPS display.

Then again, the first computer in my house growing up was a TRS-80 model I with a monochrome display. So my baseline might be a bit lower than others. 😉

It'd be neat if burn in was solved or largely mitigated. You cant beat the true black of a OLED. It's very noticeable in dark games and movies.

...the light emitted by blue LEDs is largely unstable...current OLED panels use multiple layers of specialized materials to reduce the burn-in effect...
The author has misunderstood what was done here, or why it works. The "light emitted" by blue LEDs isn't unstable; it's the molecule(s) used to create that light. And the "reduction in layers" in the research doesn't refer to current OLED panels, but rather a newer tech based on so-called "hyperfluorescence". These use a "matrix" of 3 or 4 different molecules, called a "multi-component emissive layer", lying between the sensitizer and emitter.

The authors found a way to eliminate these layers, and couple the sensitizer directly to the emitter. This was *not* done to "reduce burn in" directly -- a paper co-author expressly noted that it's simply a natural byproduct of reducing the energy required by the OLED, by increasing its efficiency. The simpler structure not only increases efficiency, but allows for easier fabrication, reducing costs.

But again-- this isn't an optimization of current OLED technology, but rather ones based on hyperfluorescence, which are hoped to be the foundation of next-gen organic panels.

"However, OLEDs still suffer from burn-in, although it is less common now than it used to be"

The OLED screen is not the issue...! It's the consumer discretion who uses and maintains the screen...!

I have owed an LG OLED for 10 years... No burn-ins whatsoever...!

I've recently upgraded to a QHD IPS display (240 Hz, G-Sync, HDR), and I spent an obscene amount of money for that.

No rush to go OLED anytime soon, really. Technology, take your time to improve :-D

Would microled become as good and as cheap by the time it happens though?
There are definitely competing technologies. And once one of them can become much cheaper,
it could be a death for a losing one

I've recently upgraded to a QHD IPS display (240 Hz, G-Sync, HDR), and I spent an obscene amount of money for that.

No rush to go OLED anytime soon, really. Technology, take your time to improve :-D
Grats. I am on my first decent quality IPS 4k 144hz gsync, and I love its picture quality. I did not realize everything can look so sharp. Oh and if OLEDs getting cheaper can drag higher tier IPS displays down, good. More people could finally experience IPS at its best.

Back