Onboard SATA controller can't recognize new 1.5TB drive

I am trying to upgrade my old 60GB SATA drive with a 1.5TB SATA drive. However, the system fails to detect that I have a drive connected. It can still detect the old 60GB drive however. I also tried using my new drive on another PC and it works just fine.

Old SATA controllers have any limit on how big the drive is?? What are my options here, get a PCI-SATA controller card?

Appreciate any suggestions

If the new drive is Sata-300, you may need to set a jumper to put it down to Sata-150. Some Sata controllers don't recognize the new drives without the jumper set.

After trying the above suggestion.

Does the drive show up in the BIOS? If it does show up there and not in Windows then you may just have to manually partition/format the drive through 'disk management'. If its in the BIOS but not in Windows, then try to update your chipset drivers for your SATA controller.

If it doesn't show up in the BIOS, update your BIOS. If it still doesn't show up, then I would try the drive in a different system. If the drive is confirmed good, that is when you should consider a PCI? or PCIe controller card.

Thanks for your suggestions.

BIOS was able to recognize the hard drive after I put it down to SATA-150. However, windows installation is still not able to recognize the drive - says no hard drives found.

What 'disk management' software should I be using? or should I be loading some driver at the time of installation for WinXP installation by pressing 'F6' ?

Disk Management is an Admin Tool in the Administrative Tools Control Panel in XP.

Your BIOS should be able to make the SATA controller emulate IDE so XP doesn't need the driver. Since you had to jumper it down it is likely that your SATA controller doesn't support NCQ anyway, so no reason not to do it that way if you can.

Otherwise you'll need to get the driver for your SATA controller for XP and put it on a floppy (hopefully its a small driver) and then press F6 during the install and get XP to find it. There may be another way to do it without a floppy, but I haven't dealt with XP and SATA drives in years so I'm not sure..

Back