Onboard Sound Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonggirl

Hi, I made a post here about https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic119408.html. Not sure if that link works. Well this problem is for the same computer It is a HP530, I have been using the computer sucessfully since installing the new motherboard but only for basic things. Now I have bought some speakers (as I have not been using any) for it, I have put the speakers on and there is no sound. They are just 2.1 speakers, I have checked the drivers, uninstalled them, reinstalled them, I have also checked the BIOS or CMOS and there is nothing there to say the audio is disabled. It does give a listing of some onboard devices: Serial Port A - 3F8-3FF,IRQ4, Parrell Port-378-37F,IRQ7,DMA3, Diskette Controller-3F0-3F7,IRQ6,DMA whatever this means, but the numerals can change so I'm not sure if they are right. As I insert the speaker cables into the port at the back I do hear a very quick click noise but thats about it. In the device Manager section it says the driver and the sound is working fine (the driver and audio is a: Sound Max Integrated Audio) and I have downloaded the latest drivers.
I'm thinking it maybe a problem with the onboard sound and the motherboard, probably didn't work from the start but I must admit I never really used it till now. I guess my question is if anyway has any other ideas of what may fix the problem and if it looks like being the motherboard connection, can I buy a seperate sound card for it to work and what do I need to know to buy a new sound card to suit this motherboard.
Thanks to anyone for any ideas.
Ohhh and the speakers do work I tried them on another computer.
Report Edit Quote

Probably best to start by running DirectX diagnostics and see if it reports and/or can troubleshoot your problem

Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag. Then go through each of its tabs

Probably best to start by running DirectX diagnostics and see if it reports and/or can troubleshoot your problem

Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag. Then go through each of its tabs

Thanks I did try this but it said that it wasn't reporting any problems at all, but when it asked to listen to the sound etc, there was no sound at all. Same problem everything on the computer is showing that it should be working but however it doesn't give out any sound at all.

Check the sound devices in the Control Panel sounds. It is possible that you have not selected a default sound device.
By the way; What OS are you running?

FW

Your updated Audio driver is here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...953&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#113165

Your speakers should be attached to the laptop before starting it up

Confirm your Audio sound is not muted: Start > Run > rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0
Confirm your Audio sound scheme is "Windows Default": Start > Run > rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1
Confirm your Advanced settings in "Sound playback": Start > Run > rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,2

Check the sound devices in the Control Panel sounds. It is possible that you have not selected a default sound device.
By the way; What OS are you running?

FW

I have checked all those things and they are all saying they are running perfectly, I'm running XP Home Edition, but I did come across this today and I'm thinking strongly this may have something to do with it :http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/drivers/32619-d530-compaq-no-sound-what-so-ever.html I'm hoping its ok to post links to other forums if it helps :-\
Now I'm thinking, as I did fit this motherboard myself and not very experiences maybe there are some jumpers or leads that I haven't connected, not that I have any spare though, maybe I need to buy some more, I'm not sure. But in the forum link I've posted they do say to short the sound jack and I have no idea where to find this or even how to short it, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Sorry is this an old Compaq D530 ?
Are there pins near the P23 connector on the Motherboard?
212u99f.jpg

This from your Manual:
If you set digital as the Output Mode, the internal speaker and external analog speakers will no longer output audio until you switch back to an auto-sense or analog mode.
If you set analog as the Output Mode, external digital speakers will not function until you change the output mode back to an auto-sense or digital mode.

Your updated Audio driver is here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...953&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093#113165

Your speakers should be attached to the laptop before starting it up

Confirm your Audio sound is not muted: Start > Run > rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,0
Confirm your Audio sound scheme is "Windows Default": Start > Run > rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,1
Confirm your Advanced settings in "Sound playback": Start > Run > rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL mmsys.cpl,,2

Thanks these all seem ok, I have since put 2 jumpers (not sure if this was how to short out, as specified in the forum I posted) but thought I'd try it, anyway put 2 jumpers on 5,6 and 9,10 connectors on front sound on mb and now I can just faintly hear a sound coming out of the speaker (up full) so it is working to some degree now, but the sound is very hissy and the sound of music is very very very faint all volume controls are up.

212u99f.jpg

This from your Manual:
There are pins where the 23 is on the motherboard there are 9 altogether, one is blank, otherwise there would be 10, this is where I put the jumpers I put them on 5,6 and 9,10, dont know whether this is correct though. I used jumpers off the old mb, the jumpers were green and red, not sure if colours matter either.

212u99f.jpg

This from your Manual:
Where the p23 is if I take the jumpers back off there would be 9 connectors with nothing attached, and also where p6 is that does say "speakers" on the mb but nothing attached here either.
In your message down the bottom in the quoted part I don't totally understand what this is saying.

I couldn't find anymore further info on this
But you did put the front audio connector wires in the correct pins didn't you?

Also don't reply to yourself, I got 3 emails before (as you replied 3 times), just use EDIT if your post is still the last post in the thread (presently not of course)
Don't worry I read all your posts ;) (even the EDIT and added to posts)

I couldn't find anymore further info on this
But you did put the front audio connector wires in the correct pins didn't you?

Also don't reply to yourself, I got 3 emails before (as you replied 3 times), just use EDIT if your post is still the last post in the thread (presently not of course)
Don't worry I read all your posts ;) (even the EDIT and added to posts)
sorry, I do not have any wires in that p23 it just has the two jumpers on the 5,6 and 9,10 pins the other pins there have nothing on them.
Or are you talking about another connection (front audio connector)

OK I have fixed it, I had a good look and it was what you posted a little bit back about the digital output etc, in the advanced section of the volume control it had a checkbox which was checked and it said digital output I unchecked this, I think it was a combination oof the jumpers on and the unchecking of the box. Thanks again kimsland for your time, support and patience. Anothe rproblem fixed.

I don't know
I don't even know where the front audio connector is, other than p23
I'd like to know if removing the old drivers, and then installing the correct drivers worked after a Restart though

I don't know
I don't even know where the front audio connector is, other than p23
I'd like to know if removing the old drivers, and then installing the correct drivers worked after a Restart though

I didn't need to install the new drivers as it worked without doing this, I also remember unchecking that digital box earlier so I do really think it was a combination of the jumpers on the 5,6 and 9,10 and the unchecking in the end to what fixed it. The jumper thing was the main problem.. Thanks for all your help.

Yes, but the sound is still really low
Is this because they are not powered speakers?

Sorry, The sound was really low and hissy until I unchecked that Digital Output box in the advanced Volume, when I did this the sound was then perfect through the speakers so it is all resolved, but I do remember unticking this box earlier but I didn't have the jumpers on at that stage and I didn't get ny sound then, so the end result I think was the combination of both. Thanks Kimsland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back