OnePlus 6 notch confirmed, leak reveals redesigned rear, headphone jack

midian182

Staff member

Good news for those disappointed to learn that OnePlus has stopped selling its OnePlus 5T in the US: the successor to the excellent handset, the OnePlus 6, could be here sooner than expected. What you see above is the first official image of the OnePlus 6.

In addition, reliable leaker Evan Blass sent out a tweet yesterday showing the back of the phone, which reveals a few details about the OnePlus 6. Still no word on an exact launch date, but the leak suggests we might not have much longer to wait.

As with OnePlus’ earlier phones, the upcoming model features a speaker grille and a now (almost) standard USB-C port. Thankfully, the company is joining Samsung in retaining the 3.5mm headphone jack at a time when more manufacturers are dropping it from their devices.

It also appears that the horizontally stacked, dual lens rear camera has moved from the top left position, where it’s found on the OnePlus 5 and 5T, and is now vertically aligned in the center of the phone. There also seems to be a square fingerprint sensor just below it. The print reader is round in the OnePlus 6’s predecessors; the new shape makes it look more like Samsung’s Galaxy S9 Plus.

What’s also interesting is the phone’s rear construction. Earlier leaks show the handset with a glass back, but the image appears to show it made from a textured material that could be wood or brushed metal.

Blass didn’t reveal any other new details about the OnePlus 6. It’s expected to be powered by this year’s flagship processor, the Snapdragon 845, and come with 8GB of RAM in one of the two available variants. The full-HD (2160x1080) Optic AMOLED display is reportedly bezel-free, and, much to the disappointment of some Android fans, will feature an iPhone X-style notch.

Permalink to story.

I’m genuinely curious as to what percentage of people are still using a headphone jack on fancy new phone like this one. It seems to be relevant enough to make the headline of the article but I reckon it’s just a really loud small minority who still use it.

I’m genuinely curious as to what percentage of people are still using a headphone jack on fancy new phone like this one. It seems to be relevant enough to make the headline of the article but I reckon it’s just a really loud small minority who still use it.
I use it, and I wouldn't buy a phone without it, I don't want to carry any other cable other than the one that comes with a good pair of headphones.

I really think it's the opposite. People with wireless headphones are a small minority. There should be a poll. Good thing about a headphone jack is that you can still use wireless headphones and it doesn't take much space at all.

I really think it's the opposite. People with wireless headphones are a small minority. There should be a poll. Good thing about a headphone jack is that you can still use wireless headphones and it doesn't take much space at all.

I would like to see this poll, I imagine the manufacturers have done their research. I find it hard to believe that Apple/Huawei/Google would produce phones that don’t cater for the majority of their users. I know you can use a dongle but its a very inelegant solution.

I would like to see this poll, I imagine the manufacturers have done their research. I find it hard to believe that Apple/Huawei/Google would produce phones that don’t cater for the majority of their users. I know you can use a dongle but its a very inelegant solution.
You shouldn't really find it hard to believe. Apple never was known for catering to their users, they make whatever they want and consumers are the ones who have to adapt. It's always been like that and as for other companies, they like to copy Apple.

OnePlus and Samsung realize that not everyone wears earpods, which look horrible btw.

I'd take the sound quality of a pair of $45 Final E2000 Earbuds over some overpriced shitty apple, or JBL wireless earbuds any day.

Sadly the vast majority of people that buy wireless earbuds don't care about the quality of the music they listen too.

I exclusively use a Bluetooth headphones, the only time I would use a headphone jack would be in desperation of it having a flat battery.

You shouldn't really find it hard to believe. Apple never was known for catering to their users, they make whatever they want and consumers are the ones who have to adapt. It's always been like that and as for other companies, they like to copy Apple.
I disagree with you quite strongly here. I have found that Apple are best at catering to users and not forcing changes in behaviour, every time. I’ve been exclusively using Bluetooth for about 5 years now, they didn’t force that change in me either. And I still think that the majority of users of their products are using Bluetooth over the headphone jack, actually just asked around the office I work in and everyone is wireless here. It would be interesting to find out. I’ve noticed that on the forums the people who are upset about the headphone jack disappearing are usually The same people claiming everyone is using them. It would be interesting to find out how many people aren’t using them and I would actually be very surprised if more than 50% of users still use the jack.

Every time I fly with westjet and watch movies with my phone. Corded devices are always more reliable and better than bluetooth/whatever other dumb cordless things.

I disagree with you quite strongly here. I have found that Apple are best at catering to users and not forcing changes in behaviour, every time. I’ve been exclusively using Bluetooth for about 5 years now, they didn’t force that change in me either. And I still think that the majority of users of their products are using Bluetooth over the headphone jack, actually just asked around the office I work in and everyone is wireless here. It would be interesting to find out. I’ve noticed that on the forums the people who are upset about the headphone jack disappearing are usually The same people claiming everyone is using them. It would be interesting to find out how many people aren’t using them and I would actually be very surprised if more than 50% of users still use the jack.

rofl, the best at catering to their customers....

No SD cards slots on any of their devices.
The charge port changes every 6 months and none of the charges are compatible
No modification variation to the OS allowed.
Must have an apple ID to do anything with their devices
etc etc etc.

It's just one long list of not caring a hoot about the customers and doing what apple wants.

Back