OnePlus Nord starts at $460 with 90 Hz display and 5G support

nanoguy

Staff member
Highly anticipated: The OnePlus Nord is the first in a new wave of mid-range devices that come with certain flagship qualities at a more affordable price point. Where the OnePlus 8 can only be had for $699 or more, the Nord is designed to approximate the former at a lower starting price of $460.

OnePlus has revealed its much-awaited mid-range smartphone that doesn't break the bank and is essentially a Lite version of the OnePlus 8. Years after the failure that was the OnePlus X, the company is offering once again an affordable alternative to today's flagships.

The OnePlus Nord doesn't have the fastest SoC from Qualcomm, but it does come with the more than adequate Snapdragon 765 5G paired with 8 or 12 GB of RAM and up to 256 GB of storage. The 6.44-inch OLED display is very similar to what you get with the OnePlus 8 (minus the curved edges), sporting a resolution of 2400 by 1080 pixels and a refresh rate of 90 Hz. The in-screen fingerprint sensor is still there, which is impressive for an affordable handset.

The rear camera configuration includes a 48-megapixel sensor, an 8-megapixel ultra-wide lens, a 2-megapixel macro camera and a 5-megapixel depth sensor. For reference, the OnePlus 8 doesn't have a depth sensor but does have a higher resolution, 16-megapixel ultra-wide sensor. Still, OnePlus has chosen to equip the Nord with a more capable front camera module that includes a 32-megapixel main sensor coupled with an 8-megapixel ultra-wide camera.

All of this is powered by a 4,115 mAh battery, which is a bit smaller than what you get with the OnePlus 8 and 8 Pro. However, the Nord sports a less power-hungry SoC with an integrated 5G modem, which is why the Snapdragon 765G has become the new go-to chipset for other manufacturers like Google, Nokia, and LG.

The OnePlus Nord will be available in Europe and India starting August 4 at €399 (£379) for the version with 8GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage, while the maxed out version will set you back €499 (£469). The company doesn't seem too keen on bringing it to the US, but it is preparing a beta program for 50 people later this month.

Launching alongside the new Nord smartphone are the OnePlus Buds, which are essentially the latest AirPods look-alike that come in bright colors with a price tag of $79/£79/€89.

Unlike most low-end wireless earbuds, these will come with automatic pausing when you remove them from your ears. There's also a pop-up notification just like with AirPods that helps you quickly pair them with a OnePlus phone.

Permalink to story.

This is what OnePlus needed to do to shake off the stigma of "they're going full premium like everyone else" - well done.

Solid phones that will [hopefully] continue to grow in popularity.

This is what OnePlus needed to do to shake off the stigma of "they're going full premium like everyone else" - well done.

Solid phones that will [hopefully] continue to grow in popularity.

Aye it is true their phones are getting more expensive, but they're still £300-400 cheaper than other premium handsets so I still consider them better for it. This is a welcome addition though.

Still, I find the high-mid range an awkward price point, it's £380 here in the UK, which is too expensive still for most people who don't value the high end stuff, The only people I really see it catching is people who really want the high end stuff but got no money.

Aye it is true their phones are getting more expensive, but they're still £300-400 cheaper than other premium handsets so I still consider them better for it. This is a welcome addition though.

Still, I find the high-mid range an awkward price point, it's £380 here in the UK, which is too expensive still for most people who don't value the high end stuff, The only people I really see it catching is people who really want the high end stuff but got no money.
To be fair, most people in the UK buy their phones through contracts monthly, I feel I'm one of the few that buys the phone out right, I bought a 6T for £350 on black friday just gone but if I had known this phone would be launching I'd have waiting oh well.

Snap! I got my OP6T at a launch pop event! Think it was £609 because I went for a model up. Thinking of getting a Note 20 when the reviews come out though, had OP for my last 2 phones (3T and 6T), they are great but they aren't 'polished', you may agree?

Surely this should be the OnePlus NERD .. who cares about 90hz display on a phone? Bring the price below £399 (preferably below £320) and then we'll start talking

Last two phones have been OnePlus models (currently on 6T). Love OxygenOS. I just got the Jabra Elite 75+, I'm curious how the OnePlus buds will do.

Surely this should be the OnePlus NERD .. who cares about 90hz display on a phone? Bring the price below £399 (preferably below £320) and then we'll start talking
Surely you missed that it has OLED screen, not IPS or VA or god forbid TN.

Back