OnePlus teases Snapdragon 821-powered smartphone ahead of tomorrow's big reveal

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus on social media has been counting down the days until the unveiling of what is believed to be a higher-end version of its existing OnePlus 3.

The OnePlus 3T (or the OnePlus 4 / OnePlus 3S / OnePlus 3 Plus / whatever it’ll be called) is scheduled to break cover on November 15 (tomorrow). Here’s everything OnePlus has revealed – and what all has been rumored – leading up to this point.

Both OnePlus and Qualcomm have confirmed on Twitter than OnePlus’ new device will be powered by a Snapdragon 821 processor clocked at 2.35GHz (most manufacturers that have used this chip run it at a more conservative 2.15GHz). OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei has also confirmed that his company won’t be moving from AMOLED panels to LCD panels as had previously been rumored.

Confirmed specs aside, the general consensus is that the 3T will feature a 5.5-inch Full HD (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) display and 6GB of RAM along with either a 16-megapixel camera sporting Sony’s IMX398 image sensor or a 20-megapixel rear shooter using a Sony IMX395 sensor and f/1.7 aperture lens.

We’ve also heard conflicting reports regarding the size of the 3T’s battery. Some claim it’ll pack a 3,000mAh unit like the excellent OnePlus 3 while others are leaning toward a slightly larger 3,300mAh pack. The handset may also arrive sporting 128GB of local storage, twice as much compared to its current flagship.

It’s also worth noting that the OnePlus 3 is no longer in stock over on OnePlus’ website.

The upgrades may cut into one of OnePlus’ biggest strengths – its low price. Rumors suggest the OnePlus 3T may debut at or around the $480 mark, a premium of $80 over the $400 that the OnePlus 3 commanded.

Permalink to story.

If it looks like HTC, smells like HTC and feels like HTC - but isn't priced like HTC

... then I guess it will sell somewhere in the world other than the US.

I hate these 5.5" phones, I find that they are too big. I currently have the LG G4 and I hate putting it in my jean pockets. I mean, I can live with it, but I'd prefer to downsize.

I find the 5.5" TOO SMALL...since for the last 2+ years, I've used a 6.1" screen...different strokes.

I hate these 5.5" phones, I find that they are too big. I currently have the LG G4 and I hate putting it in my jean pockets. I mean, I can live with it, but I'd prefer to downsize.
depends on how large your hands are - mine fits my nexus 6p nicely, I actually hoping for a phablet at 6.4" screen in the future.

If they upgrade their software regularly, they might get the nexus crowd, the pixel is such a dissapointment.

If they upgrade their software regularly, they might get the nexus crowd, the pixel is such a dissapointment.

I wouldn't call it a disappointment for everyone. I'd say a large portion (if not the largest portion) of people buy a new phone about every two years anyway. That's the length of most contracts, so they normally upgrade at that point. Now I will say since this phone is exclusive to Verizon (outside of the Google Store), this is what makes it a disappointment. Verizon customers could just upgrade to a new one after two years, where the rest of us have to finance through Google all over again for another one if we do want to upgrade to the next one. So for Verizon owners it's not such a disappointment. For the rest of us, yeah it's disappointing. Still won't stop me from picking one up as soon as they come in stock.

Same case with me. I have currently Samsung S4 mini but had S4 normal one and that was just too big to be handed by my palms I mean I couldn't fit it, type with it with one hand.

The specs are and price decent but the 5.5" screen it's far too large for my liking and comfort so even if I was wanting for a phone in this category it wouldn't be an option for me, I'd have to settle on something more expensive which is annoying.

Last edited:
Same case with me. I have currently Samsung S4 mini but had S4 normal one and that was just too big to be handed by my palms I mean I couldn't fit it, type with it with one hand.

That is why phones come in multiple sizes, so each one can choose by his needs.
I have a Note 4 which is 5.7 and I would NOT go under 5.5 under no circumstances.
I use the phone on youtube, movies while traveling ( do not want to buy tablet ), GPS, Internet and Teamviewer.

I find the 5.5" TOO SMALL...since for the last 2+ years, I've used a 6.1" screen...different strokes.

...different folks prefer different things. I too like the larger screen size. I have the Note 4 which, if memory serves, has a 5.7 inch screen, and I love it! Would not want to down trend to a smaller screen.

Just bought the original OnePlus 3 last month, would have waited had I know this was coming, but it's still a great phone to have regardless, so I don't regret my purchase at all.

To those not being a fan of 5.5" screens, I can agree that it can be a pain occasionally but at the same time I love it. My previous phone was an HTC One M7, 4.7", it feels extremely awkward holding that thing now.

...different folks prefer different things. I too like the larger screen size. I have the Note 4 which, if memory serves, has a 5.7 inch screen, and I love it! Would not want to down trend to a smaller screen.

A friend of my cracked the screen on her OnePlus One a few weeks ago. While I ordered a replacement screen, she borrowed my Huawei Mate2. When she switched back, she said she was spoiled by the 2-3 day battery life and LARGE screen, because on her lunch break, she watches some of her tv shows she misses during the week.
She said the only advantage of the small screen (5.5) was she could use it with one hand.
I like the larger screen, for another off the wall feature. It pretty much ELIMINATES the possibility of texting while
driving. It take two hands to pretty much do anything other than swipe on these big phones, so, it "sort of" is safer ;)

Back