Only 64 bit Microsoft software working

Status
Not open for further replies.

corbett_1989

I turned off my pc this morning (I really should stop doing that) and turned it back on around recently and the only thing that is working is the normal operating system software and internet explorer 64 bit edition. Firefox, AVG, and all my other programs will not activiate..I get an error stating that the configuration is wrong and that I should reinstall everything...so i was fine I figure something was corrupted along the way, but after I downloaded new software I couldln't get it to install...as soon as I clicked on the installer I recieved the same error. So suggestions anyone? Thanks in advanced.

I tried to do all that u suggested and the msiexec /regserver didn't do anything after i typed it in. the reinstaller when i clicked on it gave me the error message about all my other programs gave me.

nope nothing either....all it did was ask for was the windows cd I put it in and it ran the search and when the progress bar reached a 100% (I did this twice) it just turned off and that was that. Could the program that emulates the 32 bit programs be corrupted?

Only 64 bit Microsoft software working
Emulates? No it's real 64Bit operating System and HardWare.

The 32 Bit applications are therefore still running on 64Bit and ideally should be 64Bit applications themselves, actually they have to be, or they wouldn't work.

Just to throw in some history: as early as 1991 the first 64-bit CPU was produced by MIPS Technologies, the R4000. So you would think that 64Bit software would be everywhere by now, it's just that MS took a while to take it on for Windows.

So your fault scenario is not on 32Bit applications not working. It is 64Bit issues on poorly written (previous only 32Bit) software and drivers. I say poorly, because some of these softwares and drivers, still have a little catching up to do (of which they most certainly will, as 32Bit should see us through for the next 2 years only)

Back to your issue!

Please run a Repair on your system, booting from your Windows CD
(I can't believe this message only needed to be one line long!!)

Sorry about the ignorance and thanks for the mini history lesson, but the problems remains...I throw in the cd in and I click on the cd icon in my computer it gives me the same errors as all my other programs did also when i tried the repair options during boot up last night it just gave me the command line (im not that familiair with the command line so I exited out) so i thought i missed something when you mentioned it but when I tried to get back in the setup of the cd during boot up I received a error code SETUPREG.HIV could not be loaded error code 32768

I get an error stating that the configuration is wrong and that I should reinstall everything
Maybe I should ask what this message states specifically

Because at this stage, it's back up and install Windows + Apps clean

Way ahead of you

Well I want to first off thank you for your time and patiences with me but I already backed up the files and removed the operating system and installed Linux for the time being. I had some reports for college I needed to start working on and I couldn't hold them off any longer. Just in case if you were wondering why I installed Linux was because if I installed Windows again it would be my 5th time in two months of having the operating system and Windows requires me to call them and explain why I'm using an old key code and I don't feel like explaining it to them. Once again thank you for your help with this operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back