Only audio, no video when I try to play .wmv or .mov files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of stumped here. The other day I wasn't able to play video files at all. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary and scanned my computer with AVG and everything is on the up. I tried to open the files with windows media player and GOM player and only get audio. However, when I open the video files with Windows Media Center, they work! I downloaded XP Codec pack and still no progress. I prefer Windows Media Player and GOM over Windows Media Center but I'm sticking to what works right now. Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas? I Have Windows Vista. Thanks in advance.

The XP Codec I downloaded had windows media player classic. That also yielded the same results, no video. Actually, the more I think about it the problem arose after I downloaded updates for Vista. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure this problem occured after the updates. It's just really odd to me that I have no problems playing videos in Windows Media Center but not in Windows Media Player, GOM Player, or Windows Media Player Classic. Does anyone know why this would occur ?

Your using Vista so try uninstalling your XP codec. Did GOM installed its own codec? Remove it too. Donwload what is appropriate for you either Vista Codec Package 5.4.6 or VistaCodecs x64Components 2.1.7

Also un-install your Media Player Classic. If you are referring to K-Lite I haven't tried it on Vista so other please comment if its working on Vista.

As for K-lite,didn't worked for me either. Instead I use- Vista codec package(by Shark 007,found on google.com). Don't know about GOM player,but it's really interesting why you installed xp kodecs on Vista. Vista is a little more complicated and needs smth else than xp. About updates- Since I got my Vista Ultimate,I turned all updates off,coz it's just a trash for me. If your vista have Sp1(and u must have it),you don't need anything else. If there will be anything for Vista,microsoft will realease sp2

Ok, so I uninstalled the XP Codec and installed Vista Codec Package 5.4.6 but I still don't get any video in WIndows Media Player. I appreciate the responses guys, does anybody else have any suggestions? Thanks.

Widows Media Player->Sync->options->player->updates. Try updating your WMP if all those codeks don't work. What kind of media files are you opening? some kind of MKV. files or .ogg? This case of yours is very interesting,coz by default WMP have support for wma,mp3,avi,divX,dvd e.t.c ... only ones who aren't supported ar those .mkv and .ogg files. Some of Blue-ray codeks are missing to... still...

Tried to update WMP already and it said I am already up to date. I'm trying to play .wmv and .avi files so it shouldn't be a problem.

Search google for ''matroska'' pack .... if that's doesn't change anything,hell I even don't know than what to suggest . I would change my media player( i don't use WMP at all,I use VLC and Media player classic instead

i downloaded the matroska pack and i still can't playback any video with windows media player. this is frustrating. nothing works. i also downloaded divx player and that wasn't able to play videos either.

Well then... maybe the problem is inside WMP itself. However- It's impossible to reinstall Vista WMP 11 because,it's integrated into OS shell,and replacing it would mean whole OS reinstall.
In some cases, it may be possible to fix the problem, not by reinstalling it, but by fixing whatever glitch has occurred. Sometimes this error is related to the security settings as they relate to WMP11. As a result, signing into Vista as a administrator may fix the problem. Other options include running a specific Vista patch. By clicking on the Window's button and selecting the run option and then typing "regsvr32 wmp.dll," you can run this program. It may be able to fix the problem with WMP11. This is all I can tell mate,coz- If you have kodecs,they simply must work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back