Open source project catalogues Windows Store apps: 25,539 total

Rick

Staff

The contents of Microsoft's Windows Store are now accessible via web browser thanks to the efforts of @vlkodotnet, the developer responsible for MetroStore Scanner. The project is purportedly open source and allows users without Windows 8 to slalom through thousands of International Windows Store apps, ignoring geographical restrictions.

Currently, Microsoft's Windows Store is only accessible via Windows 8 -- a disappointment for anyone curious about its contents but have so far managed to shy away from Windows 8. As such, MetroStore Scanner may provide some vicarious thrills for particularly bored individuals with an ostensibly strong fascination for Windows apps.

While Vlko's unofficial expose of Windows Store apps doesn't let users make purchases, it does however provide the curious with a searchable, sortable, filterable version of the real thing. For Windows 8 users wishing to download an app they discover on the site, the MetroStore Scanner provides a link which invokes the app's official Windows Store home via the official client. Just a quick note though: this feature didn't work with Chrome, but worked perfectly with Internet Explorer. Of course, your mileage may vary with other web browsers.

Perhaps surprisingly, Microsoft hasn't provided a web-based way of perusing their Windows Store -- not yet, anyway. Maybe this project will prove to be a kick in the proverbial butt for Redmond to follow Google Play's lead.

Another trick the MetroStore Scanner performs is tallying the total number of apps it finds each time it trawls through the Windows Store. So far, the total is (insert drumroll here): 25,539.

Permalink to story.

For real? Doesn't the iPad have something like 800K? And for Android it's 600k?

Guess MS has some work to do. ;)

For real? Doesn't the iPad have something like 800K? And for Android it's 600k?

Guess MS has some work to do. ;)

iPad has over 100,000 apps. You're confusing it with the iPhone apps.

W8's app penetration is twice as fast as when the first iPad came out. With 25k apps every two months, W8 will surpass the iPad by May.

To me it looks like they're doing the work.

Maybe in app releases, but not in sales figures

That doesn't make much sense. Sales revenue can be projected by two factors: number of consumers and amount of paid apps. Right off the bat, Windows 8 is in more devices than iPads, especially since apps work across x86 and ARM architectures.

Second is the number of apps. If you do the math, higher (paid) app releases can easily equate to higher revenue to developers. It's only logical to assume more people are going to buy more apps as long as, you know, there are more apps.

I know Microsoft has said this before, but if you're a developer, there's really no bigger opportunity than to develop for Windows 8. Sure some fanboys, pundits and others might hate the change and cry about it (and that's fine) but when you develop for a living, there really are no sides to take...

I was reffering to windows 8 sales, although you wouldnt know from microsofts reports, the manipulator of numbers that they are.
https://www.techspot.com/news/50851...-sales-well-below-microsofts-projections.html

I fail to see how this is relevant to the article. But ok:

You do know companies can't just <I>lie</I> about their sales figures, right? So Paul had a "source" that told him Windows 8 sales were below expectations. If selling as much as Windows 7 is below expectations then someone needs to revisit their arithmetic.

Also, I believe I said this in another post, but those 40+ million licenses you say they just <I>made up</I>, are consumer sales. Little secret: Windows 8 has been available to OEMs, partners and select enterprise customers <I>before</I> GA (which was October, 26).

Lastly, the biggest reason why Microsoft can afford to offer Windows 8's upgrade cheaper than Windows 7's upgrade is because they make most of the revenue off of Store purchases. In other words, Microsoft is generating revenue from the Store you don't even know about. (Revenue they don't have to disclose.)

What does it all mean, you ask? Well, Windows 8 wasn't a flop. It is selling. It will sell. Developers need to get in there ASAP. That's it.

Back