Operating System Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everybody. I have a massive problem which you have all heard before but it is frustrating the hell out of me.
I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Pressario 1700. The main use of this computer is as a media player and has over 200 CD's ripped to it; this enables me to take my music with me where-ever I go.
The problem is that I turned my computer off when I went on holiday; when I came back and tried to turn it on (ironically enough to back-up the music to an external hard drive I had purchased) I got the message "Operating Sytem not found".
I have tried to load the operating disc again and repair the OS but it comes up with "Setup did not find any hard disc drives installed on your computer" and that's as far as I can get.
Of course I should have backed it all up sooner but the questions are:
What can I do to get my 200 odd ripped cd's off the hard drive?
How can I get this ##### computer to start again.
Finally you must realise that I am computer illiterate so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

ok, that makes a big difference.

when does the message come up? if you could boot into safe mode (with networking) then you could connect your pc to another one over an ethernet cable and you should be able to retrieve your files then

of course to do this though you'd need another pc with an ethernet port (aka. LAN port) and you'll need a crossover ethernet cable.

The message comes up directly after the Compaq logo.
The other message i.e. no hard drive found comes up after the windows press enter to load, r to repair esc to exit when trying to load the os

Ok - thanks did that but there was not a tools option on the BIOS setup utility.
It says PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility and gives me the following options:
Main;
Boot; and
Exit
Hmmm
What next??
Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back