Opteron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
gamingmage said:
I already know that it is a great overclocker
from the link that you provided, the newegg customers who purchased it said that it is a horrible overclocker

gamingmage said:
do they work on any athlon 64 mobo?
not always, they will work on many 939 mobos with a BIOS update, but don't buy one until you are sure (via the mobo manufacturer's website) that it supports an opty

Yes if you get a stepping such as cabe1 it might be a poor overclocker otherwise you can overclock it to ur wildest dreams and most people achieve the performance of an fx-55, 57, or even 60.

My board didn't have any issue recognizing the 939 dual core opteron(165) I installed. I flashed to the latest bios for my board first though. The opteron isn't "officially supported" on my motherboard, but it works fine. Mine oc'ed to fx60 level(2.6ghz dual core), so I'm happy. Overclocking isn't guaranteed, and even "good" steppings vary in how they oc from chip to chip. Some may break 3ghz+ while others may have issues going more than 50-100mhz over stock.

Thanks yea i just dug up a magazine from my stash that talked about the opteron and mobos for it so i think im good. Thanks for the help. Im thinking about getting that 144.

All aI have is an Arctic Coller 64 Pro - was only about $40au - probably 15 pounds?

It gets pretty hot here in summer, but the cpu rarely gets over 40c.

My next step is a PCIe board and a newer Vid Card than my 6600GT
I did it on the cheap, using as much as I could off my old machine :)

Cool i just bought a new water cooling system for my P4 but now my parents need a new computer and since i build them im going to build theirs. They agreed to let me build a new one for myself and they would take mine right now so im getting an Opteron and an asus sli premium mobo and corsair performance memory 2 GB. Hopefully the watercooling system will cool my Opteron enuff so i can really oc it.

vnf4ultra said:
My board didn't have any issue recognizing the 939 dual core opteron(165) I installed. I flashed to the latest bios for my board first though. The opteron isn't "officially supported" on my motherboard, but it works fine. Mine oc'ed to fx60 level(2.6ghz dual core), so I'm happy. Overclocking isn't guaranteed, and even "good" steppings vary in how they oc from chip to chip. Some may break 3ghz+ while others may have issues going more than 50-100mhz over stock.

You make my Athlon feal bad :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back