Order of installing SP3 and Windows Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have delayed upgrading to SP3 but I have been installing the subsequent XP security updates. I am now about to install SP3 but it has occurred to me, will I have any problems if I install SP3 on top of the Windows updates that came out after SP3?

You shouldn't have any problems installing SP3. I recently downloaded SP3 myself. I didn't have any problems.

When you download something like SP3 it will replace files, if it needs to, to make the proper install.

SP3 *should* not replace any files in patches from MS which are more recent than those in SP3, but we all know how good MS programmers are......so after SP3 update, run Windows Update and download any further patches which are clearly relevant to you.

Review this link http://windowssecrets.com/2008/09/11/02-Dont-let-XP-Service-Pack-3-hose-your-system before doing the SP3 just ensure you dont trip up. Then review http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Basically it amounts to
(a) download the SP3 update
(b) stop everthing (anti-virus, etc etc) and the network connection
(c) update to SP3
(d) reboot

Thanks for the reply. However, my concern is that SP3 presumably cannot anticipate what future updates of Windows will do. Specifically, say that SP3 changes a certain file and a future Windows update changes it again. If I use that Windows update and then later install SP3, the SP3 install will presumably roll back the more recent update and, as my PC will have a record of having done the more recent update, it will not correct the roll back (if you see what I mean).

So, my question really is, can this sort of thing happen are am I worrying unnecessarily about installing SP3 now - for example does SP3 actually look at the dates of files that it is changing and ignore them if they show at a date that is in the future to the SP3 modified file?

As I said in my previous post, SP3 should not change any files with a later date stamp. You really should have no problems installing SP3 now - it has been pretty thoroughly tested, and will probably soon be a mandatory requirement. Just ensure you do the necessary steps before installing it, as in the references I gave.

You are worrying unneccesarlily about something that MS well understands. SP3 will not perform any roll-back as you concern yourself. Post-SP3 updates will still be present.

Thanks for the reply. I shall now stop worrying and go ahead and install SP3!

Sorry for missing your first post. I wouldn't have needed my last post if I'd been a bit more observant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back