OS won't boot from IDE controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just purchased an intel D915PBL MB with a P4 3.4 HT CPU to upgrade my computer.

this motherboard only has 1 IDE slot and I have my DVD-ROM and DVD-RW connected to it. i had to get a PCI IDE controller in order for my HD's to run. the reason i did not switch it around the other way is i do not want to slow down my dvd writing process and i have a Lian-Li server case which is quite large so i would have to get a new IDE cable which i do not want to do.

my PROBLEM is my OS will not boot from the IDE controller. I managed to install my OS by only connecting one DVD-ROM and HD to the MB's IDE slot. I realized after that i could have installed it throught the PCI controller.

I want to keep the exact same setup BUT can anyone help me get it to boot from the IDE controller?

I looked around in the BIOS and found an option to "boot plug and play". i enabled it assuming it should help the problem but it didn't.

i would like to add that i have set it to boot from HD.

when i do boot it brings up the black dos screen giving options:

start windows in safe mode, with command prompt, with networking, or start normally.

if i select start normally the black windows loading screen with logo comes up very dim for 1-2 seconds as if its about to load and then reboots.

so this seems to me as if it might be trying to load windows i'm not sure.

Windows cannot boot because it doesn't have the drivers for your IDE controller.
Do a repair install and supply the controller drivers on a floppy if needed (press F6).

so it needs the driver to boot completely?

when do i install the driver before the repair or during? and when do i press F6?

or is it better to reconnect the HD to IDE, install drivers needed and then connect it back to the controller.

During Windows setup, you press F6 almost immediately after setup starts. When it is finished loading base drivers it will prompt you for a floppy that you will need. If you don't have a floppy, you will need to create one with drivers for your IDE controller on it.

so when the blue screen comes up at the beginning while its scanning for hardware press F6. only a floppy will do? not CD? or is it because the windows CD must be inserted during driver installation?

You get a message saying "Press F6 if you need to install drivers" near the beginning of the install as Soul has pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back