OtterBox's latest is a stackable, wireless charging battery system

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: OtterSpot is a portable Qi wireless charging solution. It consists of a 36-watt charging base that can charge up to three OtterSpot wireless batteries and one device simultaneously. For lack of a better description, the wireless batteries look like those coaster-style pagers you get when waiting to be seated at a restaurant.

OtterBox on Thursday announced what it is calling the world’s first expandable charging system “for home, office and on-the-go.”

OtterSpot batteries are stackable – up to three high – to reduce cable clutter. Each portable battery features a 5,000mAh capacity and 10-watt charging speed. They even have battery status LED indicators and a USB port for optional wired charging.

An OtterBox spokesperson told The Verge that the system can technically support up to four stacked batteries although charging speeds start to take a hit at that point.

The OtterSpot wireless charging system starts at $129.95 and includes the charging base and a single OtterSpot wireless battery. Additional bases and batteries can be purchased as needed for $69.95 each.

At that price point, the OtterSpot system is far from the most affordable portable charging option out there. You also sacrifice some capacity at just 5,000mAh each but then again, it’s wireless, highly convenient and looks great. For these reasons, it’ll likely attract a decent following.

The OtterSpot wireless charging system and additional batteries are available to purchase as of writing.

Permalink to story.

Makes very little sense.

#1 You have to lay the phone down on it to charge.
#2 Only $5000 MAh
#3 $129???

Just buy a Mophie Powerstation. Charge by wire. It's faster and more efficient to charge by wire. You can use your phone while it's fast charging just as you would normally.

"$129.95"

Wow, that's nearly five times the cost of samsung's charging pad, let alone cheaper (and quality) 3rd party alternatives. The price is just downright stupid. This isn't a premium product that provides must have features. It's a wireless charger, so long as it does the job it doesn't matter which one you buy.

Spend a bunch of money for the convenience of charging your phone at typically half the rate and 75% of the power efficiency of plugging in? I still don't get the current "charge wirelessly from a battery" trend.

I could maybe understand it for charging electronics that are totally sealed and a pain to access a power port on. Typical cell phones though? Seems more flash than practicality. You are literally carrying around extra battery weight that you will never be able to access, due to the losses experienced in Qi charging.

I tried the wireless charging thing for about 1 hour.
I have an official Samsung unit and some knock off I got on ebay for pennies, Model EP-NG930. My phone (Samsung S7) gets so hot its ridiculous. Don't care if you show me all the data in the world proving a battery/phone getting that hot causes no damage to its initial or longterm battery life, there's no way the battery/phone consistently getting that hot is good for it.
Only if my plug in cable/connector breaks will I use it.

Back