Outlook Express 6.0 - Attachment Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at my wit's end with Outlook Express. I hope someone out there can help me.

My problem: I can't receive any messages that include attachments and I can't effectively send any such msgs either. Oh, they'll go into my "Sent Items" folder all right but my Recipient won't ever get them.

I've searched the Net and seen a gazillion posts about unchecking the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened..." but that's done diddly for me.

What else is left to try?

Well, you can always try to reinstall OE. There could be a corrupted file that is preventing you from doing this. That is the only thing I can think of personally, but maybe someone else has a different solution.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Thanks for the welcome, Poertner 1274. I've considered your solution but I'm hoping to use that only as a last resort. I think I'll wait a week or so and see who else posts. If you're startled out of your wits in 8 days by a resounding scream echoing around the world, that'll be me if the OE re-installation fails.

OE can be reinstalled relatively easily and without much fear of losing data. It's not like reloading Windows or Office or something.
Problem with that is, you almost have to reload IE as well, since OE is installed with IE.

First check Windows updates, see if a new IE is available. If so, it usually comes with OE. Or see if there is any OE updates per chance.

One way (on xp) to reload IE/OE, is this:
Copy this text into a new file called "reloadoe.vbs"
-----------------------------------
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}\IsInstalled", 0, "REG_DWORD"

WshShell.Run ("rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf")
-------------------------------------------

And run that VBS file when saved. This should work to reload OE. You'll need your XP CD if you do it. The code was taken off a similar script from Dougknox.com

But anyways, if you really really really don't want to reload OE. I'll keep looking around.

Incidentally, if you're worried about data, it can be backed up relatively easily. I'll let you know how if you want.

Good news and Hallelujah! I can now send and receive attachments!

My ISP offers a free tech support service that allows you to chat in real time with an agent and, naturally, it was the first thing I tried to get resolution to my problem. As luck would have it, I got a Nitwit Know-Nothing who gave me horrible advice (which I believed, acted upon and which ultimately served no purpose whatsoever). Two nights ago, I came to my senses, decided to try another agent and presto subito! I got my attachment issue fixed. Don't ask me how, he just checked my server settings, ran a few tests on his end, made me type a few things and then voila!

Though I didn't make use of it this time, I thank you both for your quick advice and willing help. If anybody asks, I will definitely recommend this site.

Ciao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back