Overclocking ATI GPU Mobility 4530

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guru1294

Hi guys,
I want to overclock my Grpahics card, Ati mobility radeon.
I downloaded the ati gpu clock tool. It says my memory speed is approx 396 Mhz.
I have a laptop (HP) and my question is should i overclock it and if yes by how much and upto how much should i go. Originally my cpu temperatures go to like 40 to 45 c. so if i overclock it a little more they should go up to like 50 to 55. Depending on my temperature i can set the defaults. My specs are:

Hp Dv6-1238CA

4Gb ram

2.10 Ghz Dual core (Centrino Processor)

Windows 7 OS

512 mb dedicated graphics. Core clock 500 mhz

Has anyone ever had any experiences with overclocking GPUs (ati's)
if so please reply to this thread !

I wouldn't suggest overclocking your mobility graphics card, there wont be much of a point in doing so considering you'll only get a couple more frames you wont even notice.

Good advice, Epic. One side effect will be considerably more heat and reduced battery life as well.

Consider this, I have a DV5 with 9200 GS GPU; and it idles at 50C (while sitting right beneath AC) at default clock/speeds.

Hey guys um thanks for replying, epicpie i think you have some good logic there and archaen, about the battery life, even if i do overclock my grapics card i can always go back to defaults :)

Currently my DV-6 goes upto 50C as well.

I researched a bit yesterday, and i found this tool called AMD Gpu clock tool, and it can be used to overclock any ati Gpu.

The good thing about it is that even if you overclock too much, you won't cause any hardware failure as the computer restarts and it goes back to defaults.

Currently, i gave you guys the wrong info, My core clock is 500 MHZ and my Memory clock is at 666 Mhz.

your first post is a little confusing? Are you wanting to overclock to GPU? Then why are you listing CPU temperatures? They will effect each other, but you need to be primarily concerned with GPU temps when you are overclocking the GPU. Also you need to check temps under heavy load, not at idle.

Over all though i 100% agree with EpicPie that you really don't want to overclock a laptop GPU. They are usually built right on the edge in terms of being able to handle the heat anyway, you will impact battery life and component life a lot more then with a desktop and you are going to get negligible FPS benefits.

on top of compdata's post remember that if you break something because of it none of it will be covered under a warranty.

just don't forget to get a decent laptop cooler even if you don't overclock but use it for games.

i OCd my laptop but not much. 25% core (and shader -nvidia) and 10% memory. for the older laptop 15% core and 10% memory.

Thats a good area to cover nismo; I use an cooling pad as well; these HP's are fantastically useless at getting rid of heat.

Thats a good area to cover nismo; I use an cooling pad as well; these HP's are fantastically useless at getting rid of heat.

Make sure you update to the latest bios version for your laptop as well. HP didn't announce any official issues, but after i recently upgraded mine (for hpx-16t) it has been noticeably cooler and quieter.

http://www.hp.com/#Support

As a note, i am running Win7 so your millage may vary

I forgot to mention if you overclock it to high your GPU will being to artifact and it can be permanent and difficult to undue.
Things like this will usually happen:
1000996ft6.jpg

I have the latest Bios i.e F21A; but it didn't do anything for me :/

But anyway, atleast with cooling pad the issue of heat has been resolved to some extent :)

Oh, Thanks for the replies, Hmm. A few things to point out and clear. First of all i do make sure that the there is enough area for heat to escape, i do give the back of my laptop (where the fan is located) a little bit of extra height. One thing i have noticed is that over the 6 months that i have owned this laptop, My cooling fan used to run a lot better than it does now. In the past few months i have noticed that my laptop heats up quite easily BUT it never overheats. Im not really sure if i want to do a bios update upto this point. I updated them when i installed W7. The only reason i wanted to over clock was because in the past month or 2, my fps in games like cod 4 and gta4 have dropped 5-8 fps. Believe me that makes a difference. In a game like GTA4 where i only get 20ish fps, getting lower than 15 is just unmanageable. Sorry for not being clear enough earlier and i really appreciate you guys helping me out. but if i could just get a solution to my fps problem that would be great !

Try turning down the graphic settings, the 4530 mobility isn't powerful enough to run those types of games.

I agree with Epic, lowering the games graphic settings should help you in having some improvement in this respect.

i have tried low settings, they work quite well. Earlier i was on medium (1024 x 768). I tried 800 x 600 and it works good now. Thanks ! Hmm, didn't even think of trying it because i was so caught up in the fact that in needed to run the game in considerably good settings but low works well.

TOPIC CLOSED
THANKS A LOT FOR THE IDEAS AND HELPING ME WITH THE REAL PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back