Overclocking, Cooling and Modding forum

KingCody

Hi guys (and gals ;)),

the popularity and curiosity of CPU overclocking seems to be increasing. as a result there seems to be an ever increasing number of new threads here at TechSpot regarding overclocking, but there really is no fitting place for it...

new members (and sometimes existing members) who wish to ask/learn about overclocking don't always know where to post their question because there is no "obvious" place to post it. at first thought, the forum most related to CPU overclocking would be the 'CPU, Chipsets, and Mobos' forum, but that forum is for cpu/chipset/mobo problems, not O/C'ing.

O/C'ing threads supposedly belong in the 'cooling and modding' forum, but I don't really see why. modding generally refers to physically modifying a case, etc (not simply adjusting BIOS settings). and while heavy O/C'ing may require better cooling, moderate O/C'ing is often attainable with stock cooling.

Personally, I think it's time to add an "OVERCLOCKING" sub-forum to the 'hardware and tweaking" forum. I'm interested at hearing admins/mods/members opinions on this

cheers :wave:

The situation does seem a little confusing and judging by the number of threads I`ve moved lately into the C&M forum, either a dedicated overclocking forum, or renaming the C&M forum to include the word Overclocking, may indeed be warranted.

I`m sure Julio will give your suggestion some thought and reply in due course.

Regards Howard :)

Nah, I think we need cooling and modding AND overclocking as a seperate thread. I mean there are hundreds of OC threads here on TS.

I fully support the addition of an overclocking sub-forum. Instead of just including the words, but actually have a thread dedicated to overclocking....

If you're just gonna add the word "overclocking" to it, it'd have to be right in front:
Overclocking, cooling and modding
instead of
Cooling, modding, and overclocking.

Just my 2 cents.

edit: If you do come up with an overclocking thread, I'd probably live there. :D

I agree that OC should go to the cooling and modding subforum. The subjects are closely related and people interested in one are probably doing the other two too.

Hmm....

It is true while overclockers are interested in cooling, most people who come into the cooling forums are generally just interested in getting their pc's to fun a little quieter, or a little cooler.

Its just lately that we've got an influx of overclocking questions. Doesn't help that most reviews today include a section on overclocking potential.

although adding adding it to the C&M forum would be better than nothing... IMHO, I think a dedicated overclocking [sub]forum would be best[/sub][sub]. many people simply want to get the most out of their current system (without replacing or modifying anything). while some people may be interested in cooling and/or modding as well as overclocking, i don't see that as a good reason for combining the subjects into a single forum.

cooling and modding relates to physically replacing or modifying hardware, but overclocking is all done through the the BIOS (firmware) and sometimes software. many of today's processors can achieve decent overclocks without changing or modifying anything.

CMH has a good point, many (if not almost all) processor / video card reviews have a section on it's overclock potential. what used to be a niche hobby, now everybody wants to do it.

CMH said:
If you do come up with an overclocking forum, I'd probably live there. :D
me too ;)

:wave:[/sub]

KingCody said:
IMHO, I think a dedicated overclocking [sub]forum would be best[/sub][sub]. [/sub]
[sub]

That would be really cool. I fully support your idea :D[/sub]

I agree that adding the word overclock to the cooling/modding forum is better than nothing, but I still think overclocking is different to cooling/modding.

At most, I'd say bunch overclocking and cooling together, and put modding on a different forum. Modding and cooling are 2 diferrent categories altogether, one's for performance, one's for looks. And from my experience, they don't really work well together...

I think that the overclocking issue has come up so much recently is because the manufacturers realize it isn't just for exper modders anymore. Most motherboards now include software to safely, to an extent, have included it on their motherboard installation CD's.

When will this be happening, if at all? (re: topic) What are the issues surrounding the addition of this new sub-topic for techspot? I'd assume there would be some legal problems, such as people blowing up computers by setting their voltages too high, but I'd say having some sort of disclaimer within techspot's user agreement should cover that. And maybe an additional sticky disclaimer in the forum itself.

considering the distributed computing forum is hardly used at all, perhaps you could replace it. Whatever DC threads come up could be put in another forum.

Yeh I was thinking we could get rid of it too. Not much happens in there anymore. Several of us from the irc channel quit running DC stuff when SETI went to that lame BOINC thing.

I reckon we should remove the reviews forum. Most end user reviews are shallow and uninformative. To add to that, not many people write reviews anyway, so a dedicated forum for reviews don't make sense, might as well just review on the relevent forum.

You're right CMH, but we're talking right now about the overclocking forum :)

It would be awesome. What do you think Julio?

* Created the "Overclocking, Cooling and Modding" forum.
* Updated a few forum descriptions.
* Moved the Distributed Computing forum, now a sub-forum of Site Feedback.

Back