Overclocking Intel Non-K CPUs: Core i3-12100, i5-12400 and i7-12700

Of course Intel is not happy, being exposed as milking consumers with artificial price segmentation of processors for years. Though exposing them is the right thing to do. A wake up call for buyers. Want a cheap gaming processor? Buy an Intel 5 12400 with the proper MB. Want the fastest and best gaming processor for the money? Buy Ryzen 5800X3D. Want the best productivity processor? Buy Ryzen 5950X or 12900K, though 12900K platform is more power hungry. Better wait till autumn for the new processors from both AMD and Intel (though last news about Intel are that they will delay a bit gen 13 proc).

Last edited:
That i5 12400 overlock is really impressive in at least upping game numbers. Let's see if Intel kills that in the future as that will be the main point.

This is one of those things that's cool and silly at the same time.

It works on a couple boards and Intel could put a stop to it and that already looks to be the case.

Just spend more for a higher tier CPU.

What about temperatures? Unfortunately no info on this topic in this "review"....
Very first sentence:
We're revisiting Intel's locked Alder Lake CPUs with a special sneak peak of an upcoming MSI motherboard that's capable of making some of our favourite current generation processors much faster.

Not a review.

Of course Intel is not happy, being exposed as milking consumers with artificial price segmentation of processors for years. Though exposing them is the right thing to do. A wake up call for buyers. Want a cheap gaming processor? Buy an Intel 5 12400 with the proper MB. Want the fastest and best gaming processor for the money? Buy Ryzen 5800X3D. Want the best productivity processor? Buy Ryzen 5950X or 12900K, though 12900K platform is more power hungry. Better wait till autumn for the new processors from both AMD and Intel (though last news about Intel are that they will delay a bit gen 13 proc).
Ikr?
Where is my 8-cylinder Toyota Prius?!
Toyota is milking us!

Last edited:
Of course Intel is not happy, being exposed as milking consumers with artificial price segmentation of processors for years.
Miliking consumers? They are offering the choice of locked CPU's for CHEAPER - for people who don't want to overclock. How is that milking? AMD is the one milking, since you have to pay for an overclockable cpu even if you don't want one. Like..WTF are you even saying?

It's called common sense, but I see that for some is hard to be civilized or draw conclusion from facts.

Very good to know, 10x for the investigation. Hope FSB *ahem* overclockig gets more traction, as 3 motherboards, borderline out of stock, and super expensive, sounds like a beginning rather than an established market.

...and about milking the consumers, not sure what that's about. Yes the silicon can do 5GHz, but not all at the same power level, as stable, with as many cores, etc. Selling cheaper locked chips that can be OCed with a bit of effort seems like exactly how it should be.

Prices on that MOBO will go up real fast in Europe.
It will probably be a 2 late 2 expensive type of product, shame...

Miliking consumers? They are offering the choice of locked CPU's for CHEAPER - for people who don't want to overclock. How is that milking? AMD is the one milking, since you have to pay for an overclockable cpu even if you don't want one. Like..WTF are you even saying?
...Or you can sell cheap and unlocked CPUs, make cheap mobos with descend OC capacity and still not being a problem for the guy who doesn't want to OC...

Sounds familiar... Of course and it was a pretty welcome move in the eyes of the tech community, now we just wait for Advanced Magical Devices to do an INTEL (again). 🕛
The joys of capitalism :skull:

Last edited:
What if I FORCED the MSI MAG B660M Mortar MAX WiFi DDR4 Bios into my MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4, would I have any success? thanks

Back