Overclocking memory running at lower than rated speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Hey guys. I have a question: Is it possible to overclock memory that is rated at a higher speed but is running at a lower speed on your motherboard? Ex: I have PC3200 memory in my computer. It can also run at PC2100/2700. Currently, it's running at PC2100 (the motherboard's max stock memory speed). Is it safe to overclock it to its PC2700/3200 memory speed?

it should automatically run at PC3200 speeds. If it doesn't, something else is happening. Either your mobo doesn't support PC3200 speeds, or more likely, you've got a piece of PC2100 memory in there (which causes faster memory to automatically run at the slower RAM's speeds).

No....what I meant was that the mobo itself only has support for a maximum of PC2100 speeds...it's and 845GL chipset (PC1600/PC2100 memory support, and system #1 in my profile). What I want to do is, since the memory stick itself supports up to PC3200 speeds but is only running at the mobo's max speed of PC2100, I wanted to overclock the memory to a higher speed (but not it's maximum: I'm not made of money). DO you think I could accomplish this using Clockgen and MemSet?

Celeron Northwood Core 2.5gHZ... It's in my profile, under system #1...The processor itself has a few bent pins, but other than that, it's fine...somewhat: I notice that sometimes, my computer freezes for a sec, and then everything goes REALLY SLOWLY...like from a race car to a putt-putt...the system returns to normal after a reboot...

Oh, sry, didn't notice that.

Yes, you can try overclocking the motherboard. You still run the same risks for overclocking. Given that (I think) its not an overclocking friendly board, you might have some troubles, or might not be able to reach the speeds the RAM is designed for, but you might get lucky.

Lol

I never recommend software overclocking for CPU/RAM. And if there was a way to BIOS overclock the graphics card, I'd use that.

To overclock your RAM, I reckon you should go into BIOS. Thats the best and safest way of doing it.

You can try this.

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

Be gentle with your computer or you may not have it for very long. That big stick of PC2100 you have in your computer will likely severly limit any attempt to overclock, and you will not be able to raise the speed of one stick without raising the speed of the other stick.

CMH his computer is based on an ASUS board made for HP, so it will not have BIOS ajustable overclocking features

I was planning on removing the OEM 128MB PC2100 stick (leaving me with the new 512MB PC3200 stick in the computer running at PC2100) so that I could attempt an overclock of ANYTHING without too many problems...thanks for the encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back