Overclocking Q6600 and Corsair Dominator Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moltar

I want to say first off how much a appreciate everyones help in this forum. I had recently been getting memory_management and driver_irql bsod screens but thanks to kimsland and peterdiva I know have an operational computer.

My new ordeal is that I would like to overclock my computer. Ive never done it before and really want to learn how but would really like to have someone help me through it instead of reading a guide and hoping for the best.

Ive posted my specs on my profile and know from reading around that I definitely have hardware that is capable of overclocking.

One other thing that I would like to address that was brought up in the last thread that I opened, "Vista 32 and 64 crashes w/multimedia software like," is that my memory has underclocked itself. I have ddr2 800 Corsair Dominator memory (link for exact specs, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145168) which should have a latency of 4-4-4-12 but for some reason has clocked itself to 5-5-5-18-22. I understand from peterdiva that this can occur in ddr2 800, but how do I fix it?

Why is that? I mean from what I understand cant it increase performance? Theres threads all over the forums about people taking the q6600 to 3.2 ghz and above.

Overclocking results are directly related to your motherboard, memory and power supply. You stated that you hardware is capable of overclocking, but you also say that your memory keeps underclocking. Until you get this corrected, stay away from altering the standard bios settings. With my setup, I can't go above 2.8GHz with my Q6600. At 2.4GHz this Quad Core CPU's performance is great enough! You are running an Asus motherboard... YUCK!

Tmagic650 said:
You are running an Asus motherboard... YUCK!
I'm running an Asus motherboard and have my X2 5000+ (non Black Edition) overclocked to 3GHz and my RAM at 1000MHz from 800MHz. I know myself along with a lot of comments on other PC forums that an overclock like this for my CPU is very good.

This Aus motherboard is the best I've ever owned. I take it you've had bad experiences with them before?

Asus website and their support is very bad, compared with most other motherboard manufacturers. I see a lot of lesser Asus boards in OEM computers. All junk. I suppose the higher-end $150+ Asus boards are fine. My motherboard is a $60 ASrock Quad Core, AGP... Not much I can do as far as overclocking.

Moltar does have some issues that need to be corrected before he proceeds with overclocking his Q6600

Tmagic650 said:
Asus website and their support is very bad, compared with most other motherboard manufacturers. I see a lot of lesser Asus boards in OEM computers. All junk. I suppose the higher-end $150+ Asus boards are fine.
I've never really had any troubles with the Asus website either, I got my updates BIOS's from their.

But yea, my motherboard wasn't cheap when i got it, costing me $300. Has almost every overclocking option you can think of in the BIOS, makes it so easy to overclock and tweak my System:p

Go into your BIOS and change your FSB from 266 to 333. This will make it run at a 1333FSB.

Now set your memory mulitplier/memory divider so that your memory runs at 667mhtz. When you do this, this makes your memory and cpu fsb run a 1:1.

Running at 1:1 is known to be stable, although others can debate that running the memory faster than the FSB is still stable and faster, but that is debated and you must reseach and make the call for yourself. But anyways, running at 1:1 will make it easier, less math to do.

Lower the CPU multiplier from 9 to 8 when you are at 3.0ghzt. You want to obtain the fastest FSB possible.

Now raise your FSB from 333 10mhtz at a time. Increase voltage up a notch properly when you raise the FSB.

After the CPU comes the memory, increase the memory mulitplier/ divider to raise the RAM speed and increase the voltage properly, run memtest to test it for stability.

Benchmark your system for stability and errors and tweak your speed or voltage to get the fastest possible speed you can with the highest stability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back