Overclocking Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alster37

why does my cpu have a limit? at 3.2ghz i get the blue screen of death.

last question, how come my foxconn mobo's bios doesnt let me oc by increasing the multiplyer? it does have oc tools after all.

thx if you can help:grinthumb

Hi,

What type of CPU is it? Make, model, stepping? The BSOD could be your RAM, motherboard or something else. As for Foxconn and multipliers I think for Intel CPUs you can only decrease the multiplier and it is only if the board maker had wanted to build it into the system. Same for AMD CPUs except their Black Editions which I think are unlocked.

You might wanna Google the type of processor you have and add 'overclock' to the search.

Good Luck,

Adrian

Hey Alster,
if your talking about your x2 5200, 500Mhz OC is about all you will get out of it. thats rather standard for the althlon x2's. as for why it stops there, that can be a hundred different things. if you go to Toms Hardware, or Hardware Secrets, you they have some really good comprehensive articles on overclocking for the beginner who like to burn up there hardware :) just kidding.
good luck

I've heard some noob post a 1 egg review on newegg about the E8400 saying he maxed out the motherboard voltage (about 3.9) and set the CPU to 5ghz under the pro section. The con section naturally complained about the very short processor lifetime, counted in seconds, and a future plan for RMAing.
:haha:

last question, how come my foxconn mobo's bios doesnt let me oc by increasing the multiplyer? it does have oc tools after all.
Your not supposed to adjust the multiplyer unless you have a AMD black edition or intel extreme.

Yes please post more info about your system, and don't push your voltages past 1.4v...yet :). Keep the temps under 60 - 70.

well i have a

midi tower case form novatech ( came as part of my barebones bundle)
standard cooler
gts 250 oc to 800mhz form 745mhz core and memory is no oc
amd athlon x5200 2.7ghz
500gb hard drive
600w novatech psu (which is reliable!!!!)

the gts 250 is fine if not great running at 36C and all.
the cpu is the problem. im not a newbie to oc ive done it with all my pc's so far.
i think it is that my case is too cramped with components so maybe a bigger, better case as mine is not too large maybe 40x40x18 cm?

i also did a spot of testing.

2.7ghz idle: 52C
stress: 52C-62C

2.8ghz idle:53C
stress: 53C-66C

2.9ghz idle 53C
stress: 53C-71C

3.0ghz idle: 54C
stress: 54C-71C

this was done for 3 minutes using ORTHOS.
my pc also restarts if I set the clock to 2.5ghz
these were all done at the standard voltage as well (1.35)

thx if you can help:grinthumb

Hi Alster,
I was not trying to be insulting. its that by you asking those questions demonstrates that you are lacking the fundamentals of overclocking. what you are doing is pushing the fsb until it breaks and wondering why it wont go any further. Overclocking for real performance gains is about trial and error and finding what component or aspect is limiting the overclock, by isolating that component. when you push the fsb up, you are basically OC'ing the entire system and you cant tell what is keeping it from going higher. right now it could be the NB,SB, ram,voltage,temp etc, or it could be thats all the headroom the cpu has in it. thats why i suggested reading up on articles like this one.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/102

thx for your reply red

I think I understand overclocking better now and besides I would need a new cpu heatsink to oc my cpu because it just is so hot all the time. I suppose 500mhz is not bad to say I have a fairly average processor. I think I will wait for my next big mobo/processor upgrade maybe a lower speed intel quad core processor and then oc.
thx :D

yeah 70c is really pushing that Cpu, and those have a history of not getting more than 400-500 Mhz OC no matter what ya do, just the nature of the athlon x2's with the exception of the newer 7000 series BE editions, but those are actually athlons in name only, they are phenom K-10 dual cores. anywho, let me know if i can help :)

greg

Yeah but 450mhz is not bad to say they arent supposed to be oc anyway. Could you recommend a mobo and processor for my next big upgrade. I would rather have a mobo processor package as im not keen on installing processors but if you could tell me how difficult it is it would help alot. Is it worth sticking to a Amd processor or going for an intel?
would it be better to have a high clock duo core (eg E8400 , E8500) or get a lower clock quad core???

thanks for all your help :grinthumb

sure, i would be happy to, what do you want your new setup to be able to do? and what kind of budget are you thinking?

well running the top games i suppose and some video editing multiple applications at once.
and the ones to come bioshock 2, prototype etc. and it needs to last for 2 years.
budget no more than £300 SLI not needed or space for more than 4gb of ram.
Its just on ut3 with full gfx and 32 players it does lag a bit and I know its not my card and I know I will need to upgrade soonish anyway the gaming industry is on the move.

amd phenom x4 II 920,940,955? intel quad q8200, q6600? intel duo e8400, e8500
and Ive known that asus do some good boards, would the x4 2series work with my mobo?? bearing in mind that it runs a x5200 becuase i dont know what chipsets it runs :(

looks like your board only supports x2 amd cpu's. and the chipset is 690v nb/600 sb. i see you listed video editing in there so I would go with a quad Intel setup. if memory serves, these days 300 quid is about $400 usd. what do ya think of this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190810 it leaves room for a VGA upgrade :)

if you want to spend less than that the amd phenom II's are fantastic,particularly for gaming, i have the 955, the intels are generally faster though. and wax the amd's when it comes to video editing and rendering.

aw thats a shame I was hoping to just give my mobo a 920 for £150 :(
I think an amd based system would be better for me as the video editing isnt the main thing that I do gaming is nearly always what Im doing. do the amd phenoms run hot?? are they easy to install?

the quad bundle looks very nice by the way.
there are the 920,940 and now the 955. do you think there will be an even faster model soon to come. 965?

looked at some here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.191005 bout £220

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190736 bout £172

I would go for the second combo, with the 940 and the 790GX board.
EDIT: Just kidding, I would not personally trust one of those Biostar boards.

wow those look sick. too bad ive got a nvidia card with my amd so no sli on them boards :( but then i only have 1 card anyway. one catches my eye its the LANPARTY JR 790GX-M3H5 looks very good coupled with a phenom will send my machine flying. any good phenom 2 coolers about?

yeah 70c is really pushing that Cpu, and those have a history of not getting more than 400-500 Mhz OC no matter what ya do, just the nature of the athlon x2's with the exception of the newer 7000 series BE editions, but those are actually athlons in name only, they are phenom K-10 dual cores. anywho, let me know if i can help :)

greg

Don't forget to get a very efficient PSU for top OC. Often, people overlook quality of electrical current that eventually leads to excessive heat that could have been used powering up that system of yours. go with bronze or higher in efficiency.

aw thats a shame I was hoping to just give my mobo a 920 for £150 :(
I think an amd based system would be better for me as the video editing isnt the main thing that I do gaming is nearly always what Im doing. do the amd phenoms run hot?? are they easy to install?

the quad bundle looks very nice by the way.
there are the 920,940 and now the 955. do you think there will be an even faster model soon to come. 965?

looked at some here

The one with the ASUS mobo seems better since they are known more for overclocking anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back