Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV won't be launched this year, Activision Blizzard confirms

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Bad news for anyone hoping to play Overwatch 2 or Diablo IV this year. During Activision Blizzard’s recent conference call to discuss its quarterly earnings, CFO Dennis Durkin revealed that the company isn’t planning to launch Overwatch 2 or Diablo IV in 2021.

Overwatch 2 and Diablo IV were announced during the annual BlizzCon conference in 2019. Both appeared to be in the early stages of development as pre-orders and launch dates weren’t mentioned.

During the earnings call, executives additionally noted that Diablo Immortal was “extremely well-received” during recent regional testing. Further testing is being planned ahead of a general launch later this year, we’re told.

Last May, we heard through the rumor mill that Blizzard was moving ahead with an official remaster of Diablo II despite the fact that the game’s source code had been lost years ago.

Durkin during the earnings call potentially addressed this, saying that “we have a few other things up our sleeve in terms of remastered content that we'll unveil in due course which should provide a further opportunity for us this year.”

BlizzCon normally takes place at the end of the year but with the pandemic, organizers elected to postpone the 2020 convention. Instead, BlizzCon will now take place later this month as an online event. Given the close proximity to the earnings call, it’s unlikely that we will hear anything more about Overwatch 2 or Diablo IV during the event.

Permalink to story.

"remaster of Diablo II despite the fact that the game’s source code had been lost years ago."

I hadn't heard the source code was lost? In fact I feel like there's been occasional patches over the years, which would imply they have source, unless they were somehow maybe all just asset modifications?

Blizzard is a shell of its former self. I wouldn't expect anything decent from them. Can't even blame Activision, it was self inflicted. I wouldn't even expect Diablo IV in 2022. We'd probably get Overwatch 2, and just like the first game will continue to be an unbalanced game. Where most characters are meh and only 5-6 good ones that everyone plays. It'll have more loot boxes than before, and most likely will push for paid season passes.

If they need more time to put that polish on the game, I have no problem waiting.

The last thing Blizzard needs to do is pull up CDPR and release a game not ready to be released.

Given blizzard's recent history, they just aren't working much on either game period. Content for overwatch has been near zero and the warhammer remake was a complete flop. I've seen companies screw up a game but I've never seen companies like Blizzard refuse to work to make content for games where fans want to give them their money. It's astounding.

I have zero confidence that either game will be any good and I say that as a person who's put far too many hours into blizzard games.

Given blizzard's recent history, they just aren't working much on either game period. Content for overwatch has been near zero and the warhammer remake was a complete flop. I've seen companies screw up a game but I've never seen companies like Blizzard refuse to work to make content for games where fans want to give them their money. It's astounding.

I have zero confidence that either game will be any good and I say that as a person who's put far too many hours into blizzard games.

While my confidence isn't high now that the old guard has left Blizzard, I will give them the benefit of the doubt until they disappoint.

Recently, WoW Shadowlands is incredible, and Blizzard did a stellar job with OW1 in 2016. We'll see, Blizzard's given no recent development reason to shrug them off. For now.

ARPG genre is getting too tired already. It's all 'been there done that' too many times, grinding and all.

If at all this genre sees the light of the day will be when people get tired of the current countless 1st person and 3rd person action games.

For me, D3 bombed big time. The cartoonish graphics took away the foreboding feeling of D2. The game mechanics has been simplified to grinding. Even the day-night cycle was lost in D3. The lackluster roster of playable characters is a far cry (pun not intended) from D2+LoD. The auction house, which is finally removed, destroyed the experience. And patches that keep changing the gameplay sealed the fate. For me at least. I still play D2+LoD nowadays, otoh.

I have zero expectations about D4, so if it is released in the next 2-3 years I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it's a half decent game I'll be even more pleasantly surprised.

For people thinking delaying the game means it won't be a buggy launch remember CP2077 was delayed and was still released borderline unplayable and this is Blizzard we are talking about.

"remaster of Diablo II despite the fact that the game’s source code had been lost years ago."

I hadn't heard the source code was lost? In fact I feel like there's been occasional patches over the years, which would imply they have source, unless they were somehow maybe all just asset modifications?
How the Fing F does a AAA lose source code anyway???????? I would have offsite physical backups - the works.

How the Fing F does a AAA lose source code anyway???????? I would have offsite physical backups - the works.

Blizzard North was really its own operation. And the way they were shut down wasn't really to the book. The computers were no doubt tossed into a moving truck and stuffed in storage somewhere. Old HDDs were not know to live long.

It really wasn't until the mid to late 2000s where backups and offsite backups where really put into place.

Blizzard is a shell of its former self. I wouldn't expect anything decent from them. Can't even blame Activision, it was self inflicted. I wouldn't even expect Diablo IV in 2022. We'd probably get Overwatch 2, and just like the first game will continue to be an unbalanced game. Where most characters are meh and only 5-6 good ones that everyone plays. It'll have more loot boxes than before, and most likely will push for paid season passes.

After the Starcraft II mothball and the Warcraft III: Reforged fiasco, I'm only using my Blizzard client for some occasional diablo iii/starcraft ii single player (or some seldom co-op). So they can pander to the Chinese overlords, but not with my wallet.
Never trust Blizzard again, due to the microtran-scamming; never bothered with Overwatch, Hearthstone or even WoW. PLayed some HOTS until they stopped supporting it also.
At this time, my only hope is Dreamhaven or some other new studio; Blizzard can rot and die for all I care. Not buying Dia-Bloated Immortal, nor Diablo IV: Pay-Through-The-Roof edition.
I've bought and played Cyberpunk 2077, if only for the LACK of micro-transactions. Bought a collector's edition, actually. I won't EVER touch Activision FPS, nor Battlefield's, with a 10-feet pole.
Also, Bio-woke is on the same list for all I care: "woke", censored, 'offensive images removed' - I'm an adult and I want adult-themed games; if one can't stand the posterior of a person in video games: go to your church and stop the feminazi-puritanism. I know my beauty standards and you CANNOT force them down my throat.
It's time to educate these companies that wokeness, white-male-bashing and gender politics dont' pay.
Blizzard: no one cares how many gay/trans/hetero/black/white/whatever races you have in a game. You know what I PAY for? Entertainment. NOT political agenda checkpoints. NOT in-game-expensive-as-hell items. NOT politics. NOT patronizing inclusive stories, you know?
Do you know how I know you're losing?
Terminator
Star Trek Discovery
Dr Who
Batwoman
Ocean's8
Ghostbusteresses
Charlie's Angels
all the woke garbage and "inclusive" video games have lost millions. Good.

Back