Overwhelming demand for new iPhones is forcing Apple to delay production of larger iPad

Shawn Knight

Staff member

wsj apple delaying mass production ipad tablet mac media event iphone 6 ipad air iphone 6 plus large ipad

Apple’s rumored 12.9-inch iPad likely won’t make an appearance at next week’s media event – or anytime soon, for that matter. Production on the planned larger-screen iPad has been pushed back as suppliers continue to struggle to keep up with demand for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus according to sources familiar with the matter as reported by The Wall Street Journal.

The original plan was to send the larger iPad into mass production in December. Output of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus remains unsatisfactory, however, according to one supplier. As such, it would be difficult for display makers to split resources and spend a few months to ramp up production for the bigger iPad.

Suppliers aren’t the only ones having a hard time keeping up with demand. The publication notes that Foxconn, Apple’s major iPhone and iPad assembler, is struggling to hire enough factory workers to build the two new iPhones. At its largest production site, more than 200,000 workers are tasked with building the new iPhones.

Asian suppliers told the Journal that the bigger iPad would likely have a 12.9-inch LCD with a resolution similar to the current 9.7-inch iPad Air.

Just yesterday, Apple issued invites for a media gathering on October 16 where most expect the Cupertino-based company to unveil the next generation iPad Air and perhaps a new iPad mini along with new Macs.

Permalink to story.

Well I personally do not like tablets to much except for ones with full windows because I do not like being limited in a list of applications to just store apps. I find that the phone market has moved on lately to people wanting their phones to be everything for them and the "Phablets" are becoming quite a popular thing (Well before the iPhone 6Plus of course) but I find the idea of a huge tablet like that to be a bit odd.

I mean at that point I feel like your buying a computer that is limited so much with that size of a machine. I mean people who use tablets usually want it to be easy to carry around and a 12.9inch variant is quite huge.

The new iPhones are popular I agree but I'm not convinced by their story, I think they are purposely limiting supply in order to create more demand.

^^ your avatar - android eating apple, tells a lot about you and how you made a dumb comment. It will be better if you back up your comment with a background in manufacturing or logistics.

The new iPhones are popular I agree but I'm not convinced by their story, I think they are purposely limiting supply in order to create more demand.

Oh no its not that its all the *****s buying the new iphone just to bend or to destroy which is making all the supply for people who want to actually use the iphone as a phone super low hence why my order which should be here for 10/10/14 has been delayed until 23/10/14 for no other reason except "iphones are in short supply(duh noobs buying them just to destroy them is why...) due to high demand.

Also I ordered the Iphone 6 Plus Space Grey 64GB

^^ your avatar - android eating apple, tells a lot about you and how you made a dumb comment. It will be better if you back up your comment with a background in manufacturing or logistics.

Or maybe he just attended the first day of a marketing class.

They don't need to limit supply to increase demand, they just need to TELL everyone that the supply is low to increase demand.

I'd have said it's a farce to excuse their lateness on the new iPads... but if I'm honest with myself I'd believe they're having supply problems. Extra inventory is extremely expensive and Apple keeps it's quality checking very high. So high, that we've actually had stories before about how they've thrown out batches of iPhones due to quality.

Also remember that the die-hard apple fans are still using the 5s, which was 'the best iphone yet' as of a few months ago. And what if there's another issue like previous launches have had... like a poor connection, or maps not working, or the phone bends easily? It all adds up to a lot of reasons NOT to order a whole pile of iPhones right away.

Not to mention, I'd bet Apple still wasn't 100% convinced on the bigger phone size.

Last edited:
So.. They are cutting profits to fool clients hoping to get back the profit they cut in the first place? o.o
Creating demand for a product by limiting stock is one of the oldest tricks in the book. It may sound strange to you but it works and it make good profits.

Back