Packard Bell Imedia 1408 startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxdelta

Hey guys,
My son's PB Imedia 1408 pc stopped working last week after he thought he had a trojan on his system after downloading it with some music. To cut a long story short, he tried to get rid of it by using Spyware Doctor at which point his system froze and then shut down. Then he called for Dad's help ( dont they always?) once the horse had bolted!
Anyway, now when you press the power on switch, the power switch just flashes orange and the HDD light stays on. There is a small beeping noise as the pc pulses but not the usual 'beep' you normally get. Inside the PC, the fans are working but you can hear it struggle to get going as it is pulsing. The PC can not boot.
I took out the Hard drive and checked it in my system and it appears good. I have since formatted it as whatever trojan was on there seemed to be pretty nasty. I have checked the CPU in my system and that works ok as does the RAM. My only thought is that the motherboard is fried? Are there viruses out there that can do that? or is it something more innocuous that i am missing?

Thanks for your time.

Virus cannot hurt Hardware (well indirectly yes, like a "crash")

Sounds like a Power Supply fault

Thanks Kimsland

I thought as the PSU was powering up that it would not be a power issue. I will test it with another though tonight.
Worst case is a PSU and Mobo change i reckon......more cash on the boy!! When will he learn that downloading music files from dodgy sites is V Bad.

Cheers

Tested another PSU which worked fine so it appears to be the PSU.

Just ordered a generic 350W PSU from Ebuyer.com which has cost £10.78 delivered which I think is a great price. It's coming off the boy's spending money to teach him a monetary lesson about downloading from dodgy music sites. I hope he learns a lesson here!

Thanks as always for the advice Kimsland.

Cheers!

Thanks for the update :grinthumb
I wish the "boy" Good Luck too (and feel a little sorry for him)

Hehe, I will tell him that he has some sympathy out there! Still, I am a firm believer in things that don't kill you (or your PCs) make you stronger and wiser. No doubt he has learnt a valuable lesson. Besides, Christmas is just around the corner and he has asked for a HDTV for his PS3! I had better start saving!

Thanks again for the input. I will let you know when his system is up and running again.

Best wishes.

Update

Hmmm.....
Fitted the new PSU (300W) which is fine, but now the system does not want to play nor does the DVD R/W player show any sign of life. All connectors and IDE cables are properly connected. The CPU fan powers up but the hard drive does not appear to have any life (even though i checked it and formatted it in my own system). Could this be a motherboard fault? Also, the monitor does not try to come on even to the BIOS option page (orange lights stay orange).

Any suggestions?

There should be a jumper on the board to reset the bios ( your Manual may be required)
Other than that DOA Power Supply
ie:
Tested another PSU which worked fine so it appears to be the PSU
Maybe test with that known working PSU again
Also 300Watts is very low, possibly too low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back