Page File size?

Mister_K

Hey guys just quick few questions regarding page file.

I have 4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM running W7 Pro x64

I have my page file set to custom
initial: 4096
max: 8192

But when I restart the settings erase?

I have 2 HDD's both 1TB 32MB 7.2K RPM (not the same makes, one is F3).

Should my pagefile be set on OS drive or my other? or both?

Once you make the changes to your pagefile, are you clicling "OK" or are you clicking the "Set" button first?

Chp_6_5.1.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I usually set my Pagefile to 1G. Now that I have 8G, I don't even need the Pagefile.

If Windows needs more it will adjust the size automatically. As long as you have enough memory to cover your needs the Pagefile can be disabled without performance loss. The Pagefile is only needed on systems that don't have enough memory to cover memory usage. To be on the safe side, setting a minimum value will ensure Windows has a Pagefile to manage if the need arises.

I usually set my Pagefile to 1G. Now that I have 8G, I don't even need the Pagefile.

This is something that comes up every year on here, and usually leads to an argument. Have you had any problems turning yours off Cliff? I have not, there are those who insist that you need it no matter what. My system grabs 25GB for a page file left to its own device (16GB Ram) I have left mine alone merely for system restore points, but I have not had a problem since the 4GB days with no PF.

This is something that comes up every year on here, and usually leads to an argument. Have you had any problems turning yours off Cliff? I have not, there are those who insist that you need it no matter what. My system grabs 25GB for a page file left to its own device (16GB Ram) I have left mine alone merely for system restore points, but I have not had a problem since the 4GB days with no PF.
I'm currently running at 1G because of a habit I grew into. However in the past the only time I ran into a problem while disabling my Pagefile was when I needed more memory than I currently had in the system.

If your Memory usage goes above what you currently have for Memory+Pagefile, the system will tenporarily become unstable and Windows will then attempt to manage the Pagefile to compensate. If your Pagefile has been disabled, Windows will have no way to stabilize itself. With 8G of Memory, my usage has never been seen over 3G, therefor allowing plenty of headroom for the Pagefile to be disabled.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I do know someone that has 8G and disabled their Pagefile without harm. I can't give a name without asking for their approval but they were a technical writer on another site/forum and my friend on yet another forum (We are both Mod's there). I wouldn't speak so boldly unless I was fairly sure of the merit. If anyone can prove me wrong then by all means do so. I don't want to be spreading false statements.

I used a FIXED size, equal for min & max. Why? This stops Windows from trying to expand it dynamically right when I need the system to be "usable" (ie: all that dynamic expansion kills system performance). I would trade paging i/o anytime over the impact of expansion.

As to the numbers, that depends on how heavy you push the OS. I'm on a laptop and
while I'll run a few apps concurrently (word, excel, browser, email), I sure don't run any games on it.

I've always used a pagefile = 2x the installed ram, but never more than 3x.

Back