Parallels and Google team up to bring Windows apps to Chrome OS

David Matthews

Staff member
Why it matters: Parallels is partnering with Google to bring full Windows applications to Chrome OS via its virtualization technology. This would allow businesses to deploy cheaper Chromebooks while still being able to leverage legacy Windows applications when needed. There's no word as to general availability but this should help bolster Chrome OS in the software department.

Parallels is known for allowing Mac owners to run Windows virtual machines within macOS itself. Now, Google wants to get in on the action with its own announcement of a partnership with Parallels that brings full Windows applications to Chrome OS. Unfortunately, this announcement only mentions enterprise Chromebooks, not consumer devices.

Parallels will bring "full-featured" Windows applications to Chrome OS Enterprise including Microsoft Office. From a business standpoint, this could go a long way to provide much needed support for legacy Windows apps while keeping overall costs down. Businesses wouldn't have to buy expensive Windows machines and simply rely on cheaper Chromebooks.

The theme surrounding the partnership seems to center around remote work, where workers may not be able to access critical Windows programs from home.

"Remote work is a new reality, making efficiency, connectivity, speed, reliability, security and undisrupted access essential elements of a successful organization. At this key moment, our two organizations have formed a landmark partnership to equip enterprises with solutions that optimize their businesses and teams to meet the evolving challenges of modern work environments."

While the feature appears to be aimed strictly at business customers, it's unclear whether it'll see general availability eventually. Being able to advertise Windows applications on Chrome OS could make it a big selling point. You could use Chrome OS for most things and then fire up a Parallels virtual machine for a specific Windows app when needed.

Google has also confirmed that Parallels will be running locally on the Chromebook, not in the cloud.

Permalink to story.

Its probably unclear cause they have to go through MS to get everything to work. While MS probably didnt mind the enterprise area or may have even given approval, I dont they would for consumer unless agreements are made. Which at this time doesnt look like has happened otherwise why not just annouce its coming to consumers also.

MS could easily break or not allow its software not to work until agreements are met. Not unheard of in the business.

Its probably unclear cause they have to go through MS to get everything to work.
I don’t think they need much from Microsoft if anything at all. Rather I think Google is making this business play where there is paid support and planned deployment, and not at the low end laptop market where most consumer Chromebooks reside.

Im sure someone talked with MS or MS could simply not have their software work. I highly doubt MS wasnt informed or didnt play some roll. One of the top big corps in the world not to mention one of, if not the biggest software company. Yea someone talked with them about it all.

Another issue for Google could be that their so called cheap Chromebooks have EOL that is close to or less than a year left of support. A lot of consumers dont know about EOL support for Chromebooks and why some are so cheap every year, especially during the holidays.

The two possible reasons a windows laptop would cost more than a chromebook are:
1) Higher h/w specs required by Windows O/S and Apps compared to Chrome O/S and apps;
2) Cost of the Windows license.

An enterprise organization looking to deploy windows apps on their Chromebooks still needs at least the same h/w specs to account for #1 (plus maybe slightly more for the virtualization), and they are either bringing their own paid enterprise license for #2 or buying the license some other way.

I don't see the cost savings, but I do see it maybe being of interest for the case where a chromebook is a preferable solution for most tasks while still needing to allow for the occasional windows-only task.

I hope this ends up trickling down to consumer focused devises. That would probably convince me to pick up a couple of them for the kids.

I hope this ends up trickling down to consumer focused devises. That would probably convince me to pick up a couple of them for the kids.
We will see but EOL support with the cheap Chromebooks could become a problem for Google. Enterprises get updated longer, consumer versions wouldn't. The EOL on some Chromebooks can be very very short depending on when you buy it. Most cheap Chromebooks are this way. If they aren't kept update to date, software then wouldnt work as it to needs to update from time to time. Google would need to support certain Chromebooks much longer. I guess only time will tell. I would say to play it safe stick to $400 n up Chromebooks and stay away from the $100-$200 Chromebooks. Also be careful of a sale, dont forget there could be and likely are on sale for a reason. There is site to check on a Chromebooks EOL.

We will see but EOL support with the cheap Chromebooks could become a problem for Google. Enterprises get updated longer, consumer versions wouldn't. The EOL on some Chromebooks can be very very short depending on when you buy it. Most cheap Chromebooks are this way. If they aren't kept update to date, software then wouldnt work as it to needs to update from time to time. Google would need to support certain Chromebooks much longer. I guess only time will tell. I would say to play it safe stick to $400 n up Chromebooks and stay away from the $100-$200 Chromebooks. Also be careful of a sale, dont forget there could be and likely are on sale for a reason. There is site to check on a Chromebooks EOL.
I have a tendency to research products in great detail before I buy them. I simply am looking for something inexpensive for the kida for school since I don't intend to allow them to return in the fall and they will continue online schooling. I'm leaning heavily towards renoir laptops because they seems to be the best value for the money. My kids would prefer ipads, but I would prefer laptops because I think they'll take better care of a laptop at their ages. If I'm spending 400 or more on a laptop, I can't see myself going with a chrome machine.

I have a tendency to research products in great detail before I buy them. I simply am looking for something inexpensive for the kida for school since I don't intend to allow them to return in the fall and they will continue online schooling. I'm leaning heavily towards renoir laptops because they seems to be the best value for the money. My kids would prefer ipads, but I would prefer laptops because I think they'll take better care of a laptop at their ages. If I'm spending 400 or more on a laptop, I can't see myself going with a chrome machine.
Then I wouldnt buy a cheap Chromebook. A iPad will easily outlast it. If Google can or does offer better EOL support then things may change.

Then I wouldnt buy a cheap Chromebook. A iPad will easily outlast it. If Google can or does offer better EOL support then things may change.
The laptops would stay on a table or desk. Ipads are too portable and they are more easily broken in my experience. Plus having experience with windows will be more beneficial than just knowing how to use a tablet. They have plenty of android and ios experience, time to expand on that to include windows and Linux.

Back