PC boots with black screen after changing hard drive

Marty9231

Hi,

So I bought a new harddrive, because my old one was too small. I removed the cables from my old one, put them in the new one and booted my pc.
Result: Black screen.

All the fans turn, no beeping, LED's work, I can hear my harddrive and my dvd-drive buzzing.

Something to note: My G15 Display does NOT light up, which it usually does. So my keyboard appears to be powerless.

I have tried removing the BIOS-battery, removing one and both RAM sticks, Disconnecting everything but the CPU, GPU and monitor. No luck.

The fact that my keyboard doesn't get power suggests a faulty motherboard to me, but I could be (and hope to be) completely wrong. I tried removing my GPU, but didn't hear any beeps (the power-chord was still connected, don't know if that matters?).

In short:
Computer seems to boot
Everything sounds like normal
No beeping
Unpowered keyboard
No luck on BIOS reset.

When I put in my new HDD, I touched the radiator, to get rid of static charges. Could it still be that a static charge ruined my MoBo or some other part? And is there a way to check if my motherboard is faulty?

Greetings,

Marty

Edit: I have now tried putting the motherboard on a static-free surface (wood) and connecting only the cpu, gpu, and monitor. Still the same. I find it strange that my motherboard doesn't beep because there's no RAM. Another indication of a broken MoBo?

Edit 2: I see now that I completely forgot to mention my specs:

Motherboard: Asus M4N78-SE
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
GPU: ATI Sapphire HD 4850
Monitor: ACER 22" x223w (I believe)

Edit 3: I left everything running for a minute or two, then removed my cpu cooler and touched the cpu. Turns out the cpu was real cold, like nothing happened. Isn't this a clear indication of a broken cpu?

You need to image the old hard drives data to the new hard drive using one of the new hard drive's manufacturer's install programs. Did you do this?

This is definetely not the problem, as I'm trying to boot without even having harddrives connected.

If you are not even getting the POST screen with the minimum of hardware connected I would first check your power supply. Get the pin out voltages for the motherboard and test the mobo power connecter with a volt meter. One or more of the supply rails may have failed, why this happened when you were only changing the hard drive is a mystery or an amazing coincidence.

As you earthed yourself before touching anything I doubt if you have caused any damage from static electricity. The CPU is the least likely component to have failed usless it has been consistently overheated.

I have just tested my PSU under load:

-Connected everything from my pc except the DVD-drive
-Connected my PSU to wall-socket
-Powered my system
-Measured the voltage-output of all 3 types (3.3VDC, 5VDC, and 12VDC) using a free SATA-cable.

The under-load results were all perfect, and did not differ more than 0.1 volt from the load-free test and the standard volt-chart.

I concluded my PSU was OK, and since all other parts have been accounted for, I'm suspecting my motherboard.

That sounds fairly conclusive. My last ditch action would be to flash the Bios.

Back