PC cooling company Zalman files for bankruptcy

Scorpus

Staff member

Over the past few years, Korean cooling company Zalman has slid away from the spotlight. Once a main player in the silent PC cooling business, the company filed for bankruptcy earlier this week.

A report in The Korea Times cites troubles with Zalman's parent company, Moneual, as the reason behind why the company has folded. According to their sources, Moneual had failed to repay export bonds totalling 500 billion won (US$460m), causing them to file for court receivership despite reporting significant revenue and operating profits in the previous financial year.

Moneual, a robotic vacuum cleaner manufacturer, is also suspected of "overstating its export performance in order to receive large loans from financial institutions." On top of that, Zalman themselves are accused of violating corporate accounting rules, which would have contributed to their demise.

Some of Zalman's most popular products included their line of circular copper CPU and GPU coolers, which in the mid-2000s were easily recognizable as being from the company. Zalman also focused on making truly-silent passive cooling solutions, including a passive liquid cooler and a popular line of heatsink-laden silent PC cases.

But now, it looks like the company's days in the PC industry are over.

Permalink to story.

Definitely still have a couple of old Zalman coolers lying around. It's sad because they really were some of the best back then.

I totally forgot about them. I remember not too long ago if you needed a good custom cooler everyone would recommend Zalman, now it's usually Noctua.

I'm currently using the "ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa". It has been a great cooler, I have no complaints.

I need a bankrupt sticker and put it on the Zalman logo, I have on the front of my case.

I was a big Zalman fan for many years. Once other better lower cost solutions came out I moved on. It's a real damn shame what greed and no integrity can do to a company. Happens far to often these days.

I have a Zalman CNPS 9500 LED cooling my CPU as I type. Sad day indeed.

I have the same zalman 9700LED that I bought in 2006. I've never found a suitable replacement. I want something that looks amazing and has great cooling performance. There are other great coolers out there but none as beautiful as that copper 9700

Good riddance. I once asked for their support but they gave me none.

I bought one of their products years ago, and it was my fault for not investigating it further before I bought it. The idea was sound, to vent cpu exhaust heat out of the case and maintain a quiet noise level, to the best of my recollection, it required a weird mounting scheme that the case I had could not accommodate, so I sent it back.

Over the years, it seems like their designs were more aimed a looking cool than working the best, and from the many reviews that I read over the years when I needed a new CPU cooler, they were not among the best of designs. I started using Thermalright several years back, and in general, I have been happy with them.

I do not like seeing the small guys go, but I think that for many companies these days, there is too much focus on looks rather than functionality. That sometimes makes me wonder if those particular companies that focus on looks really have the technical knowledge to make a really good design. Perhaps this is part of the reason Zallman is in the position that they are.

Ack. Reminds me of the fall of OCZ. Great engineering, lousy business management.

I have the same zalman 9700LED that I bought in 2006. I've never found a suitable replacement. I want something that looks amazing and has great cooling performance. There are other great coolers out there but none as beautiful as that copper 9700
I also never found a replacement for my CPNS 9500, but I've been downsizing cases since I got it in 2009 so those big Noctuas just don't work.

Ack. Reminds me of the fall of OCZ. Great engineering, lousy business management.
OCZ went away because they put crappy flash memory in their SSDs to keep the prices so low. As soon as Samsung, Corsair, etc. could offer competitive pricing for way more reliable drives, OCZ's fate was sealed.

I have one similar to the one in the photo on my January '06 AMD 64 build that I still have sitting around collecting dust. I never had any issues with it in the seven years that I used it.

Wow....just wow....depressing....I have so much memories, loved their chipset coolers and cpu coolers and have had a bunch of them and I think that I still have some old relics somewhere in a box somewhere.

I remember reading this yesterday and being quite surprised. I always thought Zalman was doing well. I guess not.

This has been refuted by Zalman as being BS rumors with no substance.
If you're going to cry, "bull poop" on the story, you really should post a link to the repudiation.

Although, sometimes I expect even the stockholders don't know the truth, until they go to the annual meeting and find the doors locked....:D

Last edited:
Here is a link to them denying it. I'm with Cap. Nobody will know until they are in court asking for protection or another year goes by.

Back