PC frame drops

Hey guys, heres the problem:
My PC randomly has extreme framedrops which last for about 10-15 seconds. Task Manager shows the CPU and GPU dropping to very low percentages at wich it is logical that the games I play have freezes. I played a lot of Overwatch lately, the framerate there drops from 100 down to 0,5-2 but the drops can happen in every program (and its always the whole computer which is lagging, sometimes even just on desktop with nothing open), they just happen more frequently in programs with higher performance requirements. The freezes also mess with the audio sometimes, making the pc completely silent or not register mic inputs anymore until I unplug and replug my headset.
The PC also sometimes doesn´t start the explorer.exe automatically. I boot up the PC and it shows me blackscreen instead of desktop. I then do strg+alt+esc -> task manager and start the explorer.exe manually but I would like to know why it doesn´t do that automatically...

Setup:

Motherboard: asrock 990fx extreme3
cpu: amd fx 8120
gpu: gtx 1050 ti
Win 10
psu: combat power cp 750 plus
250Gb ssd, 500Gb hdd
ram: Corsair xms3 ddr3 2x8Gb 1600MHz

That screenshot was taken with my old gpu, but it is the same problem now
image.png.96fc66fb245661a560f1d88695302ddc.png

I already tried:
- checking the ram cards individually
- updating all drivers
- updating bios
- bying an new, more powerful psu
- new gpu
- tested the drives individually

As far as I know, this narrows the problem down to either Cpu, mainboard or some weird software stuff, right?

I am available for more info if you need it

I apologize for my probably weird english, I am a german.
Thanks for help!

This problem could happen if the C drive is full. You need to have 10% of the C drive free space available at all time for proper Windows operation. You could check the integrity of Windows by opening a CMD prompt (with admin. privileges) and typing> SFC /scannow.

You should check the Event Viewer for any clues to the freezing. You could have a failing hard drive here....try disconnecting the extra drive (with the machine powered off) and see if it still misbehaves.

You could also consider heat issues...like lots of dust built up that clogs cooling pathways. Dust can be conductive and cause electricity to travel on a path that it shouldn't.

Security software or Windows updates trying to run while you are using it? Just some ideas...

You might also realize that your platform is getting pretty old and it might time to think upgrade...new motherboard RAM and CPU would go a long way here..you could reuse the case / PSU /. Graphics

Thanks for the response, ill try the things mentioned.
I want to upgrade and swap MB and CPU, but I dont want to spend a whole lot of money on that, and also the system should theoretically be fine for the stuff I do, so it feels like a waste to spend that money now...

Hey guys, I figured out the problem. Theres an option in the Bios named "AMD Application Power Management" which should normally adjust the power of the cpu or something, but it seemed to have messed up instead. I turned it off and now it works, no more lags. Also, my 2 ram cards werent in dual channel which also impacted performance. Thanks for the help tho! ^^

Hey guys, I figured out the problem. Theres an option in the Bios named "AMD Application Power Management" which should normally adjust the power of the cpu or something, but it seemed to have messed up instead. I turned it off and now it works, no more lags. Also, my 2 ram cards werent in dual channel which also impacted performance. Thanks for the help tho! ^^
Ok cool...glad you figured it out and shared your experience with us =)

Back