PC freezing even after Windows 10 reinstall

ASUS Z170 MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
i7 6700k (factory clock)
GTX 1070
SanDisk SDSSDA240G 240gb hard drive (OS)
Seagate ST2000DM001 2TB SATA III hard drive
Western Digital WD5000BEVT 500GB SATA 2.5
G.Skill 16gb DDR4 2400 RAM
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Corsair CX 600
Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 OS Build 15063.540

I really need help guys.. my PC is freezing all the time and its stopping me from finding work. I'm hoping one of you guys has a bright idea of what to try.

The story is.. I get back to my flat after a week away, so I can work on my portfolio. I use AutoCAD and InDesign. Whilst working, my machine started freezing/BSOD occasionally (I.e. once or twice a day). The problem got worse over the next few days, freezing usually whilst multitasking/under load.

I was having to restart so many times a day I decided to reinstall Windows. Even after a clean install, deleting my old files, I've found the problem has in fact got worse. The machine is frequently struggling to manage to load to Windows now. I have already disabled everything I can under Task Manager > Startup. Sometimes it freezes at the Welcome screen, a few seconds after the desktop loading, sometimes after a few minutes. It always coincides with noise from the PC case which simultaneously coincides with the mouse cursor slowing down to a flickering stutter before freezing to a crash. Occasionally it'll struggle past this then the PC will run fine for a good while, as it has been doing so as I type. But if I were to start a process that is resource intensive (I.e. launching a game in CEMU emulator) than its now guaranteed to crash.

The noise from the PC case sounds like hard drive access? Although my OS is installed on a SSD and no additional programs should be loading at startup. Worryingly, it sometimes even freezes at the Republic of Gamers mobo welcome splash at the very start. I don't think it is hardware though as my components are barely 8 months old and the diagnostics I've run surely would've indicated this by now?

I've tried the following:

HW Monitor - GPU + CPU temps all normal
Windows Memory Diagnostic tool - RAM Ok
Windows Disk Check - No problems found
SFC /SCANNOW - All Ok
Reinstalling Windows - clean, removing all files

The pattern currently is..

1. Boot pc from power on button.
2. Freeze at Windows welcome screen/desktop at startup
3. Cold boot using power button (held in for 10 seconds to repower)
4. Repeat 2-3 until..
5. PC manages to struggle past the initial stuttering at outset and will run fine until placed under load

I really need to sort this out so I can finish my portfolio and get a job and pay my rent!

Will

Crash is 'blue' screen or 'black'? Any error messages? Any beeps? Is 'automatic restart on error" on or off?
Added anything recently? Have you done careful inspection with strong light?

"It always coincides with noise " and "noise from the PC case sounds like hard drive access"
Do all fans spin freely? Can you locate source of 'noise'?

Since it sounds like HDD access, consider removing HDD storage devices and run with only SSD.

Back