PC not booting past splash screen

terry5880

Hi all was on pc this morning all fine turned off went shopping come back and now it sits on the post screen where it says press tab for boot etc but I cant click on anything..after about 5 min if I leave it it will boot to black screen with flashing cursor thing. I have taken cmos battery out also reset by jumper I took ram out then turned on I get no beeps at any time I unplugged my hard drive and plugged my 2nd one in with still the same problem very confused can anyone help thanks

I managed to get it to windows memory diagnostic which is running now... I think my motherboard is dead im praying its not.. memory test finished it went on to screen saying starting windows then came up no signal and screen went into standby . helpppp please

Hi all I can now press del to run setup or tab to display bios post message when I do all the writing comes up but it freezes when it gets to part saying device #01

UPDATE ALL ive managed to get it to work sod knows how it still dont boot propaly on post screen it freezes there so I leave it 10 min s then it boots to another scrreen so I go to repair then eventually it let me after about 8 times to get to logon screen im now on but scared to restart or turn it off .. the only thing I have done is take out my graphics card and use the normal onboard graphics

Can you attempt to re-install Windows fresh? Doing this might help in identifying other problems. Remember to delete the existing partition or format the hard dive at the beginning of the Windows install

Yea bud I going to back up now I managed to get on I can save stuff and format illet u know the outcome tomorrow

UPDATE-- its still doing the same thing freezing on splash screen but now after the 5 minutes it loads to logon screen then I can get in but everytime I restar it does the same thing plus its not finding my usb stick anymore.. also I cant do a format from my disc as it wont get to that part

Yes bud also like now trying to do back up it wont finish and also when I click on my computer it takes agessssss to loadall very weird

Its weird after leaving post screen for like5 min sometimes it boots sometimes it goesto black screen with cursor thing . also my 2nd hard drive has no os on it so cant test to make sure it not hard drive but it doesnt seem like hd problem as to many weird problems

Hiall well as said in most posts on splash screen it sits for 3 to 4 min then goes to black screen with cursor thing and sits for further 3 minutes then it will go to windows logo screen sit for 1 to2 min then it will logon but other weird things happening like open up my computer and takes a while sometimes to show b ut sometimes it shows like extra removable drives other times just normal .. also my wireless keyboard and mouse stop working sometimes and usb ports seam to be having trouble does all this sound like hdd problem

I tried different psu and nt that only thing made me think motherboard is when I take ram out and turn on there is no beeps but yes magic will try hard drive thanks

A rule:
If the Ram is removed and the CPU is still installed (and there is a speaker installed) you should hear a series of "beeps". If you don't hear anything, the motherboard is bad

Some motherboards have a speaker as part of the board. Some have to use an external speaker attached to a motherboard connector

Ahhh not sure about mine anyway took it to shop as not enough time to continue working on it they charger £60 and said something to do with boot order but I checked that as much as I could but they said it was tryingto boot from my card reader hmm not sure but all fixed now and ram hard drives etc all fine

Hey Terry. They didn't tell you exactly what they did but now it's working?. I would have tried to load BIOS defaults and if I could get into Windows, reinstall the mobo drivers.

Na they didnt bud .. I tried to get into bios set up but it kept going to black screen loading stuff then stooping on device #01 .. they said sokmething about it was booting from card reading etc hmmm

Back