PC Stuck at Bios Startup

Hey yall, I have an Alienware Steam Machine i3 (r1) that I've installed windows 10 into, and as a fix for a different problem (yellow light of death) I got a new CMOS battery and installed it, causing a new problem.
My computer gets stuck in startup where it will display
"rtc is reset; bios setup default has been loaded.
strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run the setup utility
f5 to run onboard diagnostics"
No keys on the keyboard do anything and no matter what keys I mash at startup (like f2/f12/del) it keeps booting to this screen, is there anything I can do?
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Last edited:
Hi @DavidBailey My TS account has been fixed.(y) Lets work together to get this new members PC going again.
Thanks for your support. You are appreciated my friend.
PS Looks like the OP is in a boot loop mode. If your method doesn't work,the media creation tool should help. Maybe off on 3 times to get to the advanced startup mode??;)

I mentioned pressing Esc because I Googled his machine & found it is supposed to bring up options he might use to fix his issue.
3 rapid restarts should provide the options.
I just press the power button to shut down 3 times & restart.
Haven't had to do that for a long time.

Here's a great link! https://pureinfotech.com/access-adv...hoot-fix-pc/#advanced_startup_windows10_setup
I like this method when the others fail.
  1. Start your computer and follow the POST, when Windows should begin loading, press the power button to shutdown your computer.

2. Repeat the previous step twice, and in the third restart the operating system should enter into the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE), where a number of diagnostics will be performed to try fix any booting issues, but you will also get an option to access the Windows Startup Settings.

I mentioned pressing Esc because I Googled his machine & found it is supposed to bring up options he might use to fix his issue.
3 rapid restarts should provide the options.
I just press the power button to shut down 3 times & restart.
Haven't had to do that for a long time.
Hi friend. Yup that' will do it hopefully. Now we just have to wait for the OP to respond.
Team work is good!

Hey yall, sorry for the late response (first days of college), and thanks a bunch for the responses, I'm gonna set up a boot drive later tonight, as well as (hopefully) be able to run through the POST, will update tonight.
I think part of my problem might be that I have a vga monitor and have to use an hdmi adapter w/ a usb plugin, because with the escape fix I consistently just see my monitor not reading any output while the computer may just be neglecting to adjust the video or something.
I'll keep yall posted, thanks for your support!

Hey yall, sorry for the late response (first days of college), and thanks a bunch for the responses, I'm gonna set up a boot drive later tonight, as well as (hopefully) be able to run through the POST, will update tonight.
I think part of my problem might be that I have a vga monitor and have to use an hdmi adapter w/ a usb plugin, because with the escape fix I consistently just see my monitor not reading any output while the computer may just be neglecting to adjust the video or something.
I'll keep yall posted, thanks for your support!

I should also say, reinstalling the old cmos battery still presents the same problem, seems like it just didn't want the dang thing changed even though previously removing and then replacing the cmos worked fine, just with lost bios settings.

Hi Thanks for your update, but I have no idea what you're saying. Are you able to boot into Windows? Have you tried advanced startup mode? Please post what you have tried. Lets forget about the CMOS battery for now. Have you tried any thing that @DavidBailey and myself suggested?

I like happy endings and members who and give Shoutouts! Now use what you learned and pass it forward to other members.
PS Study hard in college and make your parents proud.

Back