PC -vs- Game Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PC VS Game Console

Originally posted by young&wild
Which of the following do u think is more powerful when it comes to gaming?
powerful?
the current generation of consoles sure do look like they're more powerful than normal home pcs (dunno about those 3GHz cpus).
but the PC has its upgradability, so it'll out pace the current consoles pretty soon, i believe. especially at this rate of development.
but there'll be newer consoles that can beat the current home pc.
but then the pc out paces it again.
and on and on... :p

In Agreement

Couldn't agree more Ai Hate........ PC look as though they haven't developed much for a while, but then a sudden spurt takes it ahead again. And that's not bad for a system which was originally conceived to handle math calculations, word processing and spreadsheets, ( How many of us, actually use it for that?LOL)

The console market is aimed at giving a quick fix, hence the Sony Edict that quality of visuals be prioritised over game length, however, the PC market can be accused of the same in certain circumstances, (Max Payne and AvP2 anyone?)

In the end, a more adaptable product will always lead.....

the prawn;)

Consoles'll usually look better always as there's no need to worry about the low-end. You develop for everyone has, no TNT2 or ATI Rage Pro ;)
I think one of the nvidia guys did say in some intrerview though that the latest geforce 4 is more powerful than the Xbox graphics card though. Just we'll never see it.

PC. PC gamers have always been the "rich upper class" of gaming. Not literally,I only mean that because we've expected our games to be deeper, longer, better-looking, easier to control and configure...just plain better. I dare you, run a benchmark on the XBox's wimpy little 733 MHz CPU, or the GC's 485 MHz! Then the GPU's...ugh...GeForce 4 Ti 4600 kicks the pants off the Xbox's nvidia XGP...Regardless, PC games ARE better. And PC hardware is better still. Plus, we can upgrade. Although there are some crazy people modding their PS2's (what's the frickin' point? The games are ALL built for one hardware profile, none of them will slow down and lag, plus you risk incompatability issues!), PC's are built to be better. Besides, there's a fine line between standing six feet away from your TV using a handheld controller than standing 6 inches away from a monitor using a desk mounted keyboard and mouse, so it's not really comparable.

P.S. - Was that overkill? Forgive me, I'm a PC snob...

Computers are better platforms for many games I believe. Computers also deliver much more power, but a computer should not be considered solely a gaming platform.

The problem with the computer is lack of "good" titles. I know there's a bunch, but there is a lot more PSX games out there worth playing.

It really depends on what genre you like, but yes.. The PC is more powerful without a doubt in my mind at all.

This is a question that has been debated for a long time. I, being an avid collector of both console systems and PCs (13 different console systems [17 total units due to duplicates] and 11 PCs (if you include my macs and Sun machine) have been trying to help people with that question.

It really has everything to do with the genre of gaming you are interested in. For instance, if you like one on one combat such as Tekken Tag Tournament, Dead or Alive 3, or Street Fighter (TTT is my fav) then you really can't beat a console. Biggest drawback in I/O device - I have specific joysticks for certain games (a sickness, I know).

If you like First Person Shooters then you can't beat a PC (Macs too, if you can find a game). Also, you should notice the difference between traditional RPGs on the console and those on the PC. PC ones almost always need a mouse to be playable. On a console RPG there is usually only 4-5 menus followed by one or two submenus under each - very limited movement to get the desired result. Try playing Warcraft, Diablo II, or Baldur's Gate II with a pad.

Sports games are a bit harder for me as I never play them on the PC - nor would I ever really want to. You usually play sports games against a buddy or something that is in the same room with you. Not too many "geeky" computer people gonna set up a LAN party to play Madden or something.

Now I know you can find different input devices for you PC - but how common are they really? I don't even have a real joystick for my PC (flightsticks don't count).

Developing games is also gonna be much easier on a console - they serve one purpose and everyone's hardware is identical. Drivers are not an issue and if something runs at a good speed for me it'll be the same for everyone. With these concerns gone developers can concentrate on game content and not compatibility.

And so ends my first REAL post since the transition to the new board. Still no sig though - maybe I can get some help with that.

LNCPapa

Originally posted by Vehementi
I only mean that because we've expected our games to be deeper, longer, better-looking, easier to control and configure...just plain better.
yeah, PC people want stuff like that. but do they always get it? no. :blackeye:
actually, pc games are not known for being "easy to control". especially those flight/combat sims that come with a hundred page manual.
there was a time that i was more biased towards pc games as i have a feeling that they're better in aspects like game design, creativity and stuff, since most pc users are often geeks who at least understand the word "bug".
but then after a while, it just gets :dead: boring. first there's the age of RPGs, then RTSs and then FPSs. only very little that stand out from the lousy crowd and is worth buying.
now, all i want from a game is just fun. who needs a game with the latest tech, the best graphics, 100+ hrs of gameplay, and all the options to turn all those alhpa sth on and off.
pc games need those little options cause the difference in hardware for each user as 3DSThomas stated.

I dare you, run a benchmark on the XBox's wimpy little 733 MHz CPU, or the GC's 485 MHz! Then the GPU's...ugh...GeForce 4 Ti 4600 kicks the pants off the Xbox's nvidia XGP...Regardless, PC games ARE better.
benchmark? bah! :puke:
so what if a behemoth pc got 20 thousand 3D marks. this topic emphasizes on "gaming". :rolleyes:
ever seen a PS2 game? graphically, it beats EVERY pc game to date. and so does x-box and game cube games.
i suggest you go to ps2.ign.com , d/l some battle scenes from FFX and take a look for yourself.

and you have to realise that powerful hardware doesn't make good/fun game.

man... i feel like turning this thread into another boring PC vs Console war thread... better keep my mouth shut... ;)

Originally posted by Rick
The problem with the computer is lack of "good" titles. I know there's a bunch, but there is a lot more PSX games out there worth playing.
that's the point really.
concur with LNCPapa and Rick. depends on the game.

Originally posted by Ai Hate

ever seen a PS2 game? graphically, it beats EVERY pc game to date.

I'lL take you up on that. I own a PS2, and I can honestly say the graphics are fairly sub-par to the PC. Ever play Max Payne for the PS2? Doesn't compare to the PC version....

It only makes sense too, given the PS2 has such little video memory for textures. Games looking better on a PS2 is simply the byproduct of the Television. They look good on TV, the models are smooth and well rendered, but the actual textures in the games still lack quite a bit...

I think Consoles are better for gaming.. Not for performance, but just for playing games. You pop it in - It is ready to go. No installing.. New downloading new drivers.. It's really nice to be able to do that. It's even nicer to realize there is some 0.01% chance of your game messing up while you are deep within the bowels of an area you cannot save in.

Something I don't like about consoles is the lack of configurability and that occasional game that "slows down" in certain parts. This is especially true when consoles mature after awhile. Games on the PS one and N64 run comparable slower than PC games in both action and frame rate. So far, the PS2 has been really good about consistent speed.

Woah!!! i didn't know there are mixed reactions. Some thinked that PS2 is more powerful than PC in terms of 3D gaming and vice-versa.

Originally posted by LNCPapa
Sports games are a bit harder for me as I never play them on the PC - nor would I ever really want to. You usually play sports games against a buddy or something that is in the same room with you. Not too many "geeky" computer people gonna set up a LAN party to play Madden or something.
I've played a LAN game of Fifa 02

More powerful.
I think it depends on what you put up against a console.
I think a decent PC is better than a console mainly because of flexibility.

"You must compare apples with apples and oranges with oranges"

It's obvious an updated PC is way more powerful than any console, not to mention it serves many for functions. Even when it comes to gaming, you must specify what are you comparing...

Considering for gaming purposes ONLY:

Graphics, I would say PC all the way... without getting into any detail... TVs will never match high resolution monitors, that could be used as an argument when you consider that >95% of console owners use a TV as main display as well as >95% of PC users use a monitor.

Gameplay/Fun Factor, it depends on the genre and the game itself. However overall I have noticed over the years that console games sometimes rely more on fun than technology, while PC Games most of the time is all about innovation.

Ease of use: Consoles.

Price: Consoles.

Multiplayer: PCs (no competition here yet).

Flexibility: PCs.

For me, consoles always provided a more "out - of - the - box" fun. I believe it's first purpose was to bring the arcade type of fun home.

As for PC games, it always took a little longer to get into but in most cases I ended up playing more on the PC. Thief games are favourites of mine & I doubt I'd ever find equivalents for consoles ( Yes I've tryed MGS2 ). The fact that you can customize certains aspects of the game on PC involves you a bit more & immersion is much easier that way.

beats EVERY pc game to date
Ha! Ever play Max Payne? As for the PS2 version, ports are usually :dead:BAD:dead: (I'm not saying all are, there have been some good ones, but most)

and you have to realise that powerful hardware doesn't make good/fun game.
Yea, but it makes it prettier :p

I'd say it's pretty balanced between the two, as Julio said. A couple things he forgot was customization and graphics, customization easily going to the PC but graphics I would say is a tie. Compare the 5 best looking games on both of the platforms and/or new and upcoming games (hehehe...Unreal 2 and Quake IV...), and I'd say it's a draw.

Re: PC VS Game Console

Originally posted by young&wild
Which of the following do u think is more powerful when it comes to gaming?
A PC can be anything from 8086 to Itanium. Actually, it doesn't even have to be x86. PC = Personal Computer, it can be Amiga, Mac, Acorn Archimedes, Sinclair, ..
Game Console can also be something from Atari 2600 to GameCube.
I think it's pointless to compare these things like this.

Game consoles are exactly that "game" consoles. Their only purpose is that of gaming (until the new ones that play dvds). The thign that makes them great is that games run flawlessly (for the most part) on them - no driver issues, display looks as good on your system as it doesn on you neighbors. The controller for game systems is generally real easy to use - just think back espically on pre 2000 consoles. It is much easier to use your Super Nintendo game controller to play games than it is for you to use you keyboard or USB game controller to play an emulated version of F-Zero.
With todays more complex PC games its a bit different, there are too many functions to be incorporated into a controller.

Apparently Starcraft has been ported to N64? Am I right on that? I'd love to see how thats played because I play starcraft all the time on my PC and even with its limited keystrokes I still think N64 lacks all the buttons to make it real easy to play. I mean how can I have keys 1-9 on fighting units and key 0 on my scanner sweep when I only have 9 buttons to begin with on the N64 controller.

Pre 98-99 games were better on a Console than a PC in my opinion, now games are probably better (by better I mean more fun).

Pre 98-99 games were better on a Console than a PC in my opinion, now games are probably better (by better I mean more fun). [/B][/QUOTE]

I agreed to some extent.

Hi,

As mentioned previously consoles and PCs target different people. Consoles always have better sport and action games, PC favors strategy, RPG and FPS. Of course there are many other genres and mixup between the platforms, but if we compare them they are really different (except ports to or from PC to Console). Multiplayer also more limited on consoles (it is changing now).

As regarding RPGs on consoles these are more of action adventures than AD&D. The worst part of PC rapid developement is that the publishers put out games visually stunning but lack of deep gameplay. The pritiest example for it is MOHAA with its advanced compass... killing most of the fun with it)

I like the good games regardless the platform, I even played through Bubble Bobble 2 on my brother NES 3 years ago despite that time I had Quake on my PC.

PS: but the high-tech consoles cost too much if you count the high prices of games too. For the price of a PS2 you can buy a year old x86 PC with 800MHz CPU and a decent vid.card...

it is just my POV.

Rgds,
George:

PC's will always be technically superior to consoles, as PC's are constantly advancing - consoles have a limited life span.

As for new consoles such as the XBOX - it is essentially a PC anyway and so cannot really be counted in this argument.

And as for the point about consoles having better graphics - Maybe they were better graphics .... until they got displayed on a TV.

PC also has somewhat limited lifespan but cannot be seen as clearly as in console area, and with upgrades you can longer its suffering :))

x86 non-upgrade list:

XT:
Tetrix, Xonix :)

286 with ISA only = you cannot put HW 3D in :))
2D games only plus Wolfeinstein :)

386/486 with VESA local bus = no PCI means no real upgrade :))
SW 3D

Pentium w/o AGP = limited aviability of PCI 3D accelerator
low res, mostly 16Bit 3D

Pentium II and up
These can play nearly all games, if you change the res.

Rgds,
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back