PCI Ethernet Card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my onboard NIC was damaged after a thunderstorm, so I had to buy a seperate PCI network card. The problem is that my ethernet card ( RTL 8139D) is not being recognized by the OS (Windows Vista 32-bit SP1). It is listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager and named as "Ethernet Controller" instead of its real name. So at the moment I'm forced using the USB in order to connect to the internet. Any ideas and help on how to get my ethernet card working? Thanks!

Remove or disable the old ethernet connection in System->Hardware->Device Manager. Then reboot and reinstall the new one. The computer can be confused if there are two ethernet connections detected, even if one is not working.

Remove or disable the old ethernet connection in System->Hardware->Device Manager. Then reboot and reinstall the new one. The computer can be confused if there are two ethernet connections detected, even if one is not working.

I can't disable the old onboard NIC since it was damaged and ain't showing up in Device Manager. I disabled the onboard NIC through BIOS though, but still did not make any difference :S

I think the next thing i would do is try the network card in a different pc - ascertain whether the nic is faulty or not. if it isn't, you might have to start entertaining the idea that the thunderstorm may have done more damage than just the onboard NIC.

Perhaps the lighting strike damage was much more severe, and damaging, to your motherboard than you first believed. In fact, having repaired or replaced a very large number of lightning-damaged computers in the southwestern US, Nepal, and Tibet, I would find it difficult to believe your lightning damage only ruined your network interface.
It takes only the smallest lightning voltage to raise major unrepairable havoc on that motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back