PCI-Express Card recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

taimuraly

I got a new PC at last, a one with PCI-Express :grinthumb (Dad was kind enough to exchange one of the Pcs from his office with mine). Here is the configuration. Compared with my old PC -

Acer E 500------------------Acer RC 500
P4 3.06 Ghz-----------------P4 3.2 Ghz
160 GB Hard disk------------120 GB Hard disk
512 DDR2 -------------------512 DDR
PCI-Express slot-------------AGP 8x slot
blah blah....-----------------blah blah....

Well the only reason I swapped my PC was cause of the PCI-Express slot (and I take the DDR2 ram as a bonus). So now I need a graphics card. Here are my choices :-
ATI Radeon X1900XTX (really interested , might end up buying one soon)
ATI Radeon X1900XT
GeForce 7900 GTX (can't decide - X1900TX or this ???)
GeForce 7800 GTX
GeForce 7800 GT

Well as you can see that they aren't the cheapest but I am so happy on getting a PCI-Express slot that I am willing to pay any price. :unch:
So what I am asking from you folks, is to tell your recommendations. Please tell your view on the cards I have choosen and the ones you have. Thanks :wave:

the 1900XTX is the best. Even the 7900GTX can't compare. I suppose the 1900XT and the XTX are the same, but you get more stock clock speeds, so maybe the overclocking spectrum is a little broader. And as you said, you're willing to pay the money. So 1900XTX it is!

I have an Asus Radeon X1900XTX. Runs great. I can't give a first hand comparison to any nVidia card since I don't have one.

paranoid guy said:
Yeah but those things are pricey... you're a lucky sob if you can afford this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814195003
That's your Radeon 1900XTX. 48 pixel pipelines, if I remember correctly. It's one mean mother of a card.
Why buy the ati branded card when you can get the same thing from another ati parter for much less?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103175

What power supply do you have taimuraly?
If your getting a card like that, you'll need a good power supply. The specs say:
450-Watt power supply or greater, 30 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended

ATi goes for Intel and nVidia goes for AMD. I would go with the x1900xt cause your CPU is a P4.

Well where I live - which is the United Arab Emirates - , I am getting a Saphire ATI Radeon for Dhs 2675 (which is $ 734 approx.) and a XFX NVIDIA GeForce FX7900 GTX for Dhs 2550 (which is $ 700 approx.). All these prices are after bargain and I can't buy a card over the internet because most of the sites, including newegg.com, don’t deliver here. So I have to go with those prices, the shops said that there isn’t any stock left and this is the cheapest they will sell me as they only get a limited cards here in the U.A.E (well I don’t how much truth there is to this). And because I have a branded PC, Acer E 500, I'll have to buy a power supply (mine has a 300W PSW). This will cause me Dhs 450 for a Zalman 460W PSW (which is $ 123 approx) or Dhs 550 (which is $ 137 approx.)for a... uhmmm, forgot the name, think it was therma tech or something like that. So any way my total cost will be more than $ 800 and the funny part is that I got my PC for the same price, $ 822.

The point of me writing all this is to tell you folks that the prices are a rip-off but I have no other choice so I will end up spending all that cash for the same thing you'll be getting for cheap. :mad: @#$%!%!#@ :dead:

So now I'll like to know if you people think that I should go ahead and make my purchase or should I wait - for a newer card to come out and so then, maybe the prices might go down.

Sorry for the long and boring thread but just had to share this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back