PCI to SATA serious problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

I have got a serious problem into my PC. I had an IDE dvd rom earlier in my pc. I have now bought a new sata dvd writer and also got one PCI to SATA card. Motherboard doesn't have Sata ports. I have WinXP Pro Installed in my IDE HDD.

I connected the Dvd writer as follows: Installed the Pci to sata card and then connected the sata cable from PCi card to dvd writer. pci card has also got one IDE connector slot but I have left it as it is.

After installing the card, i booted the system and installed the driver using my USB stick (dvd drive didn't get recognize so I copied driver from my laptop to usb stick and installed the drivers from usb stick to PC). After reboot now my system stuck with blue screen (same as we get after bad sectors in HDD). I get safe boot option but none of the options takes me ahead. I get simply that blue screen and system stuck.

I changed first boot device to SCSI and tried installing Fedora but system doesn't recognize the DVD drive.

Now I really don't have any way to either install the fresh OS or enter into the already existing Win XP. Please help, I need to fix my system to work on my project.

Thanks in advance.

Zenosincks said:
Have you tried to boot after removing the PCI card with host adapters?

Hi there, thanks for quick reply. yes I tried that but no luck. I removed PCI card and unplugged even DVD drive's power cable but still the blue screen.

I also reset the bios (jumper setting) but no luck. Irrespective of the blue screen, what I would like to get working is the dvd drive so that I can start installing fresh copy of OS (and eventually it will tell if that blue screen is really due to the bad sector, which I don't think it is because system was running an hour before).

If your project is important to you and you are running out of time, I would buy an IDE DVD burner (or other optical drive of your choice) and use it to get your PC going and forget about the SATA PCI controller card and SATA DVD drive for the time being. You could also return the SATA drive and controller card for IDE drive.

If you have room for a second optical drive, you can install the SATA DVD drive later as a second one and you'll have plenty of time to figure out the driver problems.

To Boldy Go......

You have been using Anti-static precautions while you've been R & R ing all this stuff, haven't you?
Have you tried to boot the machine into BIOS to see which drives and what not are still being recognized, and in which order?
PLAN "B"; Yank out the IDE cable to the HDD, and see if the machine will default to BIOS when you turn it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back