Peloton recalls over 125,000 treadmills following child's death, dozens of injuries

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Fitness giant Peloton has announced a voluntary recall of two treadmills in the US and UK over safety concerns after a six-year-old child died and dozens of people were injured. The company had insisted its Tread and Tread+ machines were safe, despite calls from users, but is now recalling over 125,000 machines.

The move follows weeks of discussions with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), whose concerns Peloton had called “inaccurate and misleading.”

“I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s request that we recall the Tread+,” Peloton’s chief executive, John Foley, said in a statement. “We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize.”

Peloton is asking customers to stop using the treadmills, which are no longer for sale in the US. Repairs will be offered over the coming weeks. Alternatively, owners can contact the company for a full refund.

Peloton advised parents to keep children away from its Tread+ machine after a six-year-old who was pulled and pinned underneath the rear rollers died. The equipment requires a higher ground clearance than other treadmills due to the type of motor it uses. There have been 72 reports of adults, children, and pets being dragged under the treadmills, resulting in fractures, third-degree abrasions, lacerations, and scrapes.

The CPSC released a disturbing video showing a child getting trapped beneath one of the treadmills while it was operating. Peloton responded at the time by saying it “knows that the Tread+ is safe for the home when used in accordance with warnings and safety instructions.”

“CPSC was unwilling to engage in any meaningful discussions with Peloton before issuing its inaccurate and misleading press release,” it added.

The Tread is also being recalled in the UK—the Tread+ is only sold in the US—because the touchscreen console can detach and fall off.

Peloton is also dealing with reports that a bug in its API allowed anyone to access user data, though the vulnerability has now been fixed. The company’s shares were down almost 15% yesterday, wiping around $4.1 billion off its market value.

Permalink to story.

The genius of Peloton has been the subscription service.... I wonder if you ask for a refund on your treadmill if you get a refund on that?

I’m guessing no...

Well, if you don't have small, STUPID, unsupervised children, there's no reason not to.... other than the exorbitant cost...
That's what I was thinking. Don't these things always have a safety? I remember when I was a kid, we could never turn our mom's treadmill on, but it was still fun to play on...

I agree the parent has responsibility but watch the video. The treadmill design is very high in the back and seems to be light enough to suck a child...or pet underneath it. The treadmill I used to own could never have down that. It was a few inches off the ground in the back and very heavy. These aren't cheap off brands....this is a super high dollar item.

I agree the parent has responsibility but watch the video. The treadmill design is very high in the back and seems to be light enough to suck a child...or pet underneath it. The treadmill I used to own could never have down that. It was a few inches off the ground in the back and very heavy. These aren't cheap off brands....this is a super high dollar item.
I have to agree. I was shocked to see how easy the back of the treadmill got off the ground. The missus has a much cheaper item, but it weights about 85 kg (I know because I had to check the box before we moved, to get prepared :) ), no way in hell that it would just jump up and start walk around like this one. Also, ours have a back cover, just at the very end of the machine and over the roller; I can't imagine why the end of this one is "naked"? It is nice to see the large radius though, that's always a good sign, only it is weird for me why they left it uncovered.

Of course, it doesn't need to weigh a ton to be good (maybe Peloton deliberately made it light). Either way, small shildren should never be left alone to play with heavy or potentially dangerous fitness equipment, and especially with powered one, so I'm really not sure how much this tragic accident is really the fault of the manufacturer. If a child was injured by a dumbell/barbell because he was just strong enough to move it from its rack, then we would ban or recall those too? Come on...

Honestly, I don't know how did they even turned the damn thing on?...

I have to agree. I was shocked to see how easy the back of the treadmill got off the ground. The missus has a much cheaper item, but it weights about 85 kg (I know because I had to check the box before we moved, to get prepared :) ), no way in hell that it would just jump up and start walk around like this one. Also, ours have a back cover, just at the very end of the machine and over the roller; I can't imagine why the end of this one is "naked"? It is nice to see the large radius though, that's always a good sign, only it is weird for me why they left it uncovered.

Of course, it doesn't need to weigh a ton to be good (maybe Peloton deliberately made it light). Either way, small shildren should never be left alone to play with heavy or potentially dangerous fitness equipment, and especially with powered one, so I'm really not sure how much this tragic accident is really the fault of the manufacturer. If a child was injured by a dumbell/barbell because he was just strong enough to move it from its rack, then we would ban or recall those too? Come on...

Honestly, I don't know how did they even turned the damn thing on?...
I agree. Curious what the benefit of their design is. Civil cases, which I am sure there will be one, always aportion blame in percentages, so the parents will own some....not 100%, so I think they will likely pay or settle.

Back