Pen drive read as HDD

Rick Miller

I have 2 (both 32Gb) pendrives that the computer "recognizes" as an HDD...which presents a problem when I go to remove them. I have to shut down the comp. Is there some way I can change their format to be read as an external storage device? They both are NTFS format. IF I change to FAT32, then I'd have to remove and reinstall all that is on them, but that's OK if need be. Just seeking a workaround.
Rick

Should be able to "Eject" just as long as you do NOT boot from the pendrive.

Evening jobeard:

Appreciate your response. I'm thinking that you mean to 'eject" directly from taskbar icon? Well, this is what I wish to do with those 2 drives. However, they are not read as 'external devices" and therefore, that operation does not work; for when you open the icon, there is NO "eject" to click on. Someone forwarded a "command line" operation that, I believe, will work once the command is revised somewhat. Should I find that command to, eventually, work (to change format from NTFS to FAT32) I could, if you wish, post it here for you and all else? Unless you might have another suggestion?
Stay Sharp:
Rick

...[ ]...Appreciate your response. I'm thinking that you mean to 'eject" directly from taskbar icon?
I honestly never knew that you could eject a drive from the taskbar..:confused: I always access it from a right click directly on the drive's system icon.

Why don't you copy the drive's content to your system drive, and then format to FAT 32? The only difference is that FAT 32 will take a maximum of 4GB as a file size. In any case, all of my USB drives are formatted as FAT 32. I've never had any problems in transferring from one NTFS machine to another, using my USB drives.

I got a ton of information back on the web using this as a search term: Can you put a file saved as NTFS onto a drive formatted as FAT 32? You can knock yourself out with that, but be prepared for information overload when you hit "enter"

TO: captaincranky

Yes, I could copy all content on drives to comp's HDD, then re-format the drives, then re-install all data/content back onto the drives. Guess I'm getting lazy for I am trying to find a way to reformat/change the format from NTFS to FAT32 without having to go through the afore mentioned processes. I'm NOT trying to put a FAT32 file onto a NTFS format! The reason I want to change those drive's format is so that I don't have to shut down Win 7(10) every time I need to remove those drives. I feel NTFS is causing those drives to be read as an HDD and not as an external storage device; therefore, clicking on designated drive OR opening taskbar icon for drive does not allow for "eject/safe to remove hardware". One responder is working on getting to me, the command line operation to change format and thus avoid removing data, changing the formats, then re-installing the data. IF/WHEN he gets this info to me, and IF it should do the trick, I'd be willing to post that command here...should anyone so desire! THANX:
Rick

TO: captaincranky

Yes, I could copy all content on drives to comp's HDD, then re-format the drives, then re-install all data/content back onto the drives. Guess I'm getting lazy for I am trying to find a way to reformat/change the format from NTFS to FAT32 without having to go through the afore mentioned processes. I'm NOT trying to put a FAT32 file onto a NTFS format! The reason I want to change those drive's format is so that I don't have to shut down Win 7(10) every time I need to remove those drives. I feel NTFS is causing those drives to be read as an HDD and not as an external storage device; therefore, clicking on designated drive OR opening taskbar icon for drive does not allow for "eject/safe to remove hardware". One responder is working on getting to me, the command line operation to change format and thus avoid removing data, changing the formats, then re-installing the data. IF/WHEN he gets this info to me, and IF it should do the trick, I'd be willing to post that command here...should anyone so desire! THANX:
Rick
Well, I saw a dynamic similar to this with people trying to install Windows 7, on the new Skylake systems. They were insisting on installing the Os from a USB drives, Windows 7 didn't have the proper USB drivers, and the installation stalled.

So, in order to save a few minutes on the actual Windows installation itself, they were pissing and moaning all over the web, wondering how to get the install to work. Some board makers incorporated settings in UEFI to humor them.

But, at the end of the day, Windows 7 will install directly onto Intel 6th (?) generation boards, simply by using a DVD drive, and a PS-2 mouse and keyboard. Me, being a Luddite, always keep those things around for circumstances like this.

However, those "much more technically advanced than myself", can go ahead and waste a couple of days looking for a solution, while I simply installed Windows at a penalty of maybe at most a half hour.

I think it's colloquially called being, "penny wise and pound foolish".

Last edited:
Hello Everyone:

Well....good news/bad news. OK, for everyone who wants/needs to convert NTFS to FAT32 on your pendrive or HDD, this worked for me.... www.macrorit.com/free-ntfs-to-fat32-converter.html This open source program took less than a minute and without data loss! There may be other methods to perform this operation, but I choose and used this! Now, however, this did not solve the problem of the pendrives being recognized as HDD's. So, let's switch gears and ask; how do I make those pendrives operate(be recognized) as external storage devices? Been around the 'net" a bit and still haven't found the definitive answer.
Rick

... Now, however, this did not solve the problem of the pendrives being recognized as HDD's.
Sorry I couldn't get back to you on this sooner. I have several flash drives in NTFS (so I can keep the associated ACLs) and they all Eject at will.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you on this sooner. I have several flash drives in NTFS (so I can keep the associated ACLs) and they all Eject at will.

Afternoon jobeard:

I do not doubt your statement, for I too, have several other pendrives that 'EJECT at will". However I did have 2 SanDisk pendrives that didn't. I have now solved that dilemma (please see thread reply #7) I have been "around" this site seeking the way to mark this thread as solved. Would you be able to help in that issue? AND, I would like to be able to show the "fix" for all others as well, but do not know of the proper way to do that.
Stay Sharp:
Rick

Back