Pentium 4: More speed in the pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Intel will increase the speed of the chipset on the Pentium 4 in the coming months, a change that will likely boost the performance of top-end PCs.
The Santa Clara, Calif.-based chipmaker is coming out with a new chipset, code-named Springdale, for Pentium 4 PCs. The chipset runs at 800MHz, substantially faster than the 400MHz and 533MHz chipsets currently available for Pentium 4 computers, according to sources close to the company.

The new chipset will be released with a 3.2GHz version of the Pentium 4, the sources said. Intel could not be reached for comment.

Read more: CNet News.

So were is the Ram that is going to be able to take advantage of this 800 mhz FSB?

Veh, Licensing Memory technology to Sony so SONY CAN BUILD memory for thier new PS3 is not the same that same Memory being available for PC's and so far their is NO ONE announcing they will license and build this new Memory for PC's.

Originally posted by iss
So were is the Ram that is going to be able to take advantage of this 800 mhz FSB?

I'm sure that someone will correct me if i'm wrong but i think that Dual DDR333 (or is it Dual DDR400) will be implemented in these new motherboards...

Oh ye - Here it is...

http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/gigabyte-8inxp/

QUOTE:
This entails the following - if Intel migrates its processors to the 667 MHz system bus, the company will be able using the standard DDR333 memory in its dual-channel chipsets. Fortunately, its production technology is already well adjusted. But Intel intends to migrate its processors straight off to the 800 MHz bus, which immediately implies using the DDR400 memory. So the day is not far off when the JEDEC committee will finally have to adopt this memory standard.

Oh yeah now I remember, just when everyone else was backing off the 400Mhz memory intel drops the bombshell at their developers conference last fall that they are going to be supporting the 400 mhz memory in their new chipsets.:haha:

which of course is costing their third party partners a fortune to adjust for.

PC3200 ram has been validated not so long ago. Dual Channel PC3200 fits the 200mhz FSB perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back