Performance problems with large (10GB+) AVI files

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a WD 200GB disk I use for capturing video from my DVi camera.

I capture 1 tape (60min) in one file approx. 13GB in .avi format.

I have about 60% of the disk filled and defragmented, scanned for bad sectores etc..

When playing back a file - CPU goes to 100% and video doesn't play smothly at all (stops and starts all the time).
Tried Windows Media Player, RealOne and Adobe Premier.

Other files around 600-900 MB works fine when playing.

I have a Dell Dimension 8300, P4 3GHz, 60GB (C), 200GB (D) film drive), 40GB (F), 512MB memory, 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Wow. thats sure is one big video file. From your system specs you look pretty well setup. With video editing and graphic intesive programs you need alot of memory. I suggest you upgrade to 1GB of memory and make sure all your memory is pc3200 or higher, maybe even run dual channel if you can. Have you done anything with your virtual memory settings? Tweaking your virtual memory can help greatly.

To see if it's a codec problem (not handling over 4 GB files, for example), try playing them with a player that uses its internal codecs. One example is VLC, it should play DV files.

DV shouldn't tax a 3 GHz CPU much, and video players can play files larger than physical memory, so I don't really see why memory would be an issue here.

Thanks for the advice - but I am sorry to say that so far no luck.

Attached is a pic of my memory and CPU usage during playback with VLC (as suggested).

File played is around 4GB .avi format.
I have played other formats and sizes up to 7-800MB with perfect result.

What is right is that it has low CPU load 4-10% in the begining, then it jumps to 100% CPU load after approx. 50-60 sec of playing.
On other players the jump is immediate or comes a bit faster.

Memory doesn't seem to be a problem here or I might read the numbers wrong...

No other programs running, no virus or nothing.

My virtual memory is set to Custom Size: 768 to 1536 MB on C drive.

Q: What is pc3200 and dual channel?

You say you have nothing else running but your screenie shows 51 processes. I currently have 29 and have several things opened.
You might find the problem by looking into that.

Killing off as many processes as possible down to 29-30 didn't help. Most processes are system.

Monitoring what processes starts hogging Memory or CPU when playing back - the only one is VLC.

At start allocating between 15-20MB and then going up to max 30MB or so when playing with a CPU of 4-8%. When the "spike" in CPU load comes VLC starts hogging memory, around 10-15MB per minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back