Personal data of 533 million Facebook users leaks online

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The personal information of 533 million Facebook users has been published on a low level hacking forum. The sensitive data comes from people in 106 countries, including 32 million US residents.

Security researcher Alon Gal highlighted the leak, the result of a Facebook vulnerability patched in 2019. The data went up for sale via a dark web cybercrime forum back in January, when interested buyers could look up the information in the database using a Telegram bot. Now, the entire trove has been made freely available.

"The exposed data includes personal information of over 533 million Facebook users from 106 countries, including over 32 million records on users in the US, 11 million on users in the UK, and 6 million on users in India," writes Insider. "It includes their phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birthdates, bios, and — in some cases — email addresses."

Insider verified some data by matching Facebook users' phone numbers with the IDs listed in the data set. It also verified records by testing email addresses in FB's password reset feature, which can partially reveal a user's phone number. While the data only goes up to 2019, many people keep the same phone number for years.

Have I Been Pwned creator Troy Hunt said he found around 2.5 million unique email addresses in the data set. He says the most appealing element to scammers and hackers is the phone numbers, which can be used for everything from SMS spam to signing up for services. Make sure to check out Hunt's page to discover if your information was part of the leak.

Permalink to story.

1990's: never use your real name, address, or any identifying information on a forward facing site. In fact, unless you have to order and ship something, don't use your real information when signing up for a site at all.

2000's after facebook: here's all my personal info! Take it take it take it! Look, I'm not even at home right now for a week, go steal my physical stuff as well!

No sympathy for anyone involved in this. You support evil by even using the site.

No sympathy for anyone involved in this. You support evil by even using the site.

Thanks.
You forget it's not that easy for everyone to not use Facebook. In my country, some schools/universities/sport clubs/.. share info like rosters and school work using facebook. So you're more or less required to have a facebook account. And even if you don't share anything personal (like me) you do have to give your phone number.

I make it a habit on Facebook never to use my personal information.

I don’t even use my real drivers license when they demand an identity check.

Now they have a new thing with a force you to make a video clip of your face similar to the security feature on iPhone using face ID.

The downside about social media-including YouTube-is that you are always going to be giving away some form of personal information whether it’s your location or whether it’s your activities.

Facebook doesn’t pay me money to give them such information but YouTube does. Therefore Facebook gets as much fakery as possible while YouTube gets my realtime data.

I treat all social media‘s as if they are about to get hacked and any information I give them is about to get leaked. Therefore my financial information and my family information are two things I will never give them.

Videos of my cars, videos of my home upgrades and installations or videos of me going to the gun range or piloting are things I really don’t care about them knowing so if Facebook has access to that then so be it.

But if I go on vacation, especially internationally, I’m very careful about whether or not people know when I’m leaving or who I am leaving to guard my property.

Some people take it as an opportunity to break in your house when they know that you’re on vacation but it might case you have no idea whether or not if you break into my house someone else, house sitting, might introduce you to my AR.

Thanks.
You forget it's not that easy for everyone to not use Facebook. In my country, some schools/universities/sport clubs/.. share info like rosters and school work using facebook. So you're more or less required to have a facebook account. And even if you don't share anything personal (like me) you do have to give your phone number.
Okay, some sympathy for those that have to be sucked into that crap platform because of situations like this where event organizers are just too lazy to develop and update their own pages, or send out email notifications about things instead of forcing their members into some parasitic platform just because it's easier on them.

Last edited:
People see FB as a platform to contact their friends and relatives, they are not thinking or caring beyond that. As long as that is true nothing will change.

FB is little more than a social engineering experiment for their *****ic, communistic leader. They have manipulated and duped millions of people!

I stopped using Samsung phones when they made it impossible to uninstall Facebook.
It looks like it was designed to bring out the worst in humanity...which it often does.
That's nonsense. Disabling all Zuckerberg apps takes 30 seconds. If you want to delete all traces of them it takes a few minutes more, using a USB cable. No root just ADB.

This always makes me laugh. I never fill out the "about me" info. I never post anything personal. People can find their own cat groups, they don't need mine to find memes. I often scratch my head over how much personal information people freely give as if to glorify themselves in some way as if others actually care. There's people I know in real life just to keep contact with. These days you almost need a Facebook account for some things. Just don't go posting everything you do, places you go, expose people's address' and birthdays. That's what people are going to use to profile you. People need to learn to be smarter about what they share about themselves.

Thanks.
That's not an excuse. If your school can't understand why you don't want to sign up for Facebook, then maybe you should reconsider going to that school? If they're careless enough about your privacy that they'd force you to do that, they're probably careless about it in other ways.

Also, they didn't get me. Suck it, Zuckerberg.

I think totalitarian better describes him.

It can be both :p

It's shocking news.

It's shocking that at least 533 million people still use FB. How many accounts were stolen and nobody ever released this info nobody knows.

#CancelSuckenberg

5 years has passed yesterday since I've joined TS. Time flies for sure, its scary. :)

So FB is excellent at censoring free speech but sucks at security? How about you rethink your priorities FB?

Oh wait...I forgot it's intentional

Show me one instance where Facebook stopped real free speech. Just one.
Five minutes, not even the tip of the iceberg. I haven't seen a more *****ic rhetorical troll post on this site, ever before. There should be an achievement for that.

Last edited:
Five minutes, not even the tip of the iceberg. I haven't seen a more *****ic rhetorical troll post on this site, ever before. There should be an achievement for that.
Not one of those examples are Facebook blocking ANYONE'S free speech.
Free speech is not a free access to other people's infrastructure.

Show me ONE example of Facebook blocking anyone's FREE SPEECH. If you don't understand the definition of FREE SPEECH, look it up first.

Not one of those examples are Facebook blocking ANYONE'S free speech.
Free speech is not a free access to other people's infrastructure.

Show me ONE example of Facebook blocking anyone's FREE SPEECH. If you don't understand the definition of FREE SPEECH, look it up first.
No, you're the one that doesn't understand the First Amendment.

By law, it's true the First Amendment only prevents the state from infringing on freedom of speech. However, by doing so it recognizes that the right exists, self-evident. So when Facebook engages in censorship, it is not violating the law, but it is still violating the right.

If you can't understand why that's still a problem, you're beyond reasoning with or work for Facebook.

No, you're the one that doesn't understand the First Amendment.

By law, it's true the First Amendment only prevents the state from infringing on freedom of speech. However, by doing so it recognizes that the right exists, self-evident. So when Facebook engages in censorship, it is not violating the law, but it is still violating the right.

If you can't understand why that's still a problem, you're beyond reasoning with or work for Facebook.
The first amendment is about YOUR rights to have YOUR opinions heard vs the government. I.e. The GOVERNMENT isn't allowed to prevent you from uttering your opinion.
Mark Zuckerberg is a greedy, amoral person. But he's not the government. Neither is Facebook.

Back