Phanteks unveils 5.5" hi-res display for your PC case

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Phanteks is now accepting pre-orders for a 5.5-inch LCD panel designed to spruce up any PC setup. The standalone IPS display boasts a resolution of 2,160 x 1,440 and is billed as an "ultimate second screen" for your PC. It supports a 60 Hz refresh rate, affords 450 nits of brightness, and covers 99 percent of the sRGB color space.

The panel comes enclosed in a chassis that is reminiscent of a standalone GPS system, and features edge to edge tempered glass. Phanteks said it is ideal for use inside or outside of a PC, with multiple mounting options including integrated magnets for sticking to metal and retractable feet. It can also be mounted in a 120mm fan port, should you have an empty spot available.

While advanced in terms of display tech, Phanteks' offering is not entirely unique.

Enthusiasts-grade "second screen" options date back to at least the early 2000s. Some of the first examples fit into 5.25-inch drive bays and were mostly used in conjunction with thermal probes for temperature monitoring. Later iterations included advanced fan controllers and multimedia interfaces.

These days, flash is just as important as function to some, and there is no doubt that a subset of enthusiasts will scoop up the Phanteks display to complement their existing RGB-heavy setup. And really, what's stopping someone from outfitting their system with multiple panels?

Phanteks is an established brand in the PC accessory space, and is arguably best known for their cases and power supplies. Several of the company's enclosures made the cut in our recent Best Computer Cases round-up for 2023 including the Eclipse P600S, the Evolv X, and the Enthoo Mini XL.

The kit ships with an HDMI and SATA power cable, and is offered in your choice of white or black. Pricing is set at $109.99, and the first units are expected to ship at the end of December. Unfortunately, it is already sold out and there is no word on when Phanteks will restock.

Permalink to story.

That screen is almost what I've been hoping someone comes up with for quite some time: a screen that fits into one, two or three 5"1/4 bays in a PC case. Just like the STS Tecom CKS-05V shown by LGR:

I'm all for some RGB Deco to make your PC tower look like a permanent acid trip.... but this is absolutely stupid.

It's just a frigg'n box, why spend money on something more than the box??? Do people spend all day looking at the box? Geeeezzzzeeeee .....

This is awesome... but is marketed wrong. Should be sold for gaming. You need to glue this onto an Xbox controller phone holder clip and BOOM!!!! eat dust every pc handheld ever made, full desktop (or laptop) power tethered to a handheld format. You can play handheld in bed or on the couch. Steamdeck killer

I could see using one as a permanent system monitor, if they made one that fit in 5.25" bays. I know those are near extinct, but the ones that existed were kinda shat.
This is awesome... but is marketed wrong. Should be sold for gaming. You need to glue this onto an Xbox controller phone holder clip and BOOM!!!! eat dust every pc handheld ever made, full desktop (or laptop) power tethered to a handheld format. You can play handheld in bed or on the couch. Steamdeck killer
That's a neat idea, but its already been done. You can use your phone with the STEAM app to stream games to it, and there are plenty of phone holders for controllers on the market.

Too bad you don't have like a smartphone that could do that with a Xbox controller already.

I'll have to keep them in mind as this makes lots of sense for me but they really need to use USB-C/Thunderbolt for power/data. Refresh at 30hz and you're good for many different uses.

For the adventurous, you can get an iPad 3/4 controller board that takes usb power and a hdmi signal and a screen for about half the price of this product on aliexpress.
Print yourself a case (jlcpcb does it cheap if you have a 3d printer) and you could have something very similar... or you could use it as an external monitor on the go

Adding stuff like this to your computer case is right up there with adding racing stripes or a spoiler.

Imagine buying all 6 displays for your pc adding to a glorious rig of 10 rgb fans, rgb cpu cooler, rgb gpu, rgb motherboard and rgb ram.
That is like having christmas all year.

Screen in a PC case? Reminds me of AIO PCs. They can't innovate with PC cases, so they do stuff like this.

This would make more sense if USB powered and connected. HDMI and SATA power in 2024?

Yeah, I have two monitors, but this would be great to run HWiNFO64 to while gaming as a system monitor while the other screens are busy. Shocking that it does not have USB..

Wait, it DOES have USB!

Phanteks 5.5" HI-RES UNIVERSAL DISPLAY
https://www.phanteks.com/PH-HRLCD.html#specs

Also, the Raspberry Pi accessory comment above came to my mind, too!

Yeah, I have two monitors, but this would be great to run HWiNFO64 to while gaming as a system monitor while the other screens are busy. Shocking that it does not have USB..

Wait, it DOES have USB!

So, you're right, USB power is definitely the way to go in 2024! Ditching HDMI and SATA feels like a breath of fresh air, and USB opens up so many possibilities for placement and flexibility.

So, you're right, USB power is definitely the way to go in 2024! Ditching HDMI and SATA feels like a breath of fresh air, and USB opens up so many possibilities for placement and flexibility.
Looking at it again, I am not sure if the USB does more than act as a power adapter. I was hoping it would also provide a USB data connection to transmit temps, fan speeds, stuff like that. I am not sure if monitoring programs like HWiNFO64 could be made compatible.

Also, I am already using my HDMI outputs.

The product page is poorly written.

Wait, it DOES have USB!

Yes, but the connection used in this case is micro-USB. As previously asked, why not use USB (type C) to both power and provide the video connection?

S1c04d58087154348b0a7ac630c266311g.jpg

What ever you need Aliexpress has it. I searched for "7 inch lcd usb c".
Touch or no touch version.

Back